IDF demolishes home of Palestinian accused of killing Israeli

Rabbi Shai Ohayon was allegedly stabbed to death by Khalil Doikat in August.

Demolition of home of terrorist who killed Rabbi Shai Ohayon (photo credit: IDF SPOKESPERSON'S UNIT)
Demolition of home of terrorist who killed Rabbi Shai Ohayon
IDF troops demolished the home of a Palestinian suspected of killing Rabbi Shai Ohayon in a stabbing attack in Petah Tikva in August.
During the demolition on Sunday night, about 150 Palestinians burned tires and threw stones and bottles of paint. Soldiers responded with riot dispersal methods. Medical sources quoted by Palestinian Ma’an News Agency said three youth were wounded in the clashes, which “lasted for several hours.”
Ohayon, a 39-year-old father of four, was found unconscious near the Segula junction with multiple stab wounds in August and was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.
The 46-year-old Palestinian suspect, Khalil Doikat, who held an Israeli work permit, was arrested by police shortly afterward with a bloodstained knife apparently used in the attack. He was handed over to the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) for questioning.
According to reports, Doikat suffers from mental disorders and had been treated by health officials in the Palestinian Authority. He had no history of terror activities and did not belong to any terror group.
Doikat was charged with murder in September.
The demolition was carried out after the High Court of Justice denied an appeal by Doikat’s family against it. His home was mapped by IDF troops in August for possible demolition, and in October, the High Court suspended the demolition after the appeal was made.
The two-story home was demolished several hours after the court rejected a final petition submitted by the Doikat family requesting that their home not be destroyed.
While some NGOs and human rights organizations criticize the army for using collective punishment by demolishing the homes of the terrorist’s families, the IDF believes it is a key deterrent to stop other attackers.
Two weeks ago, the IDF sealed the room of 49-year-old Nizmi Abu Bakar, accused of killing St.-Sgt. Amit Ben-Yigal during an arrest raid in the West Bank town of Yabed in May.
The military had initially intended to destroy the entire building but was blocked by the High Court, which said the rest of the family was unaware of Abu Bakar’s intention and did not participate in the murder.
In mid-October, the military instead sealed off his room with concrete.
“The decision to seal off the room in which the terrorist lived was made in accordance with the ruling of the High Court, which canceled the confiscation and demolition order that had been issued against the terrorist’s house,” the IDF said at the time.
Abu Bakar has been accused of throwing a brick from the roof of the building where he lived with his family. The brick struck Ben-Yigal in the head, killing him.
Ben-Yigal, 21, from Ramat Gan, was the first soldier killed this year. He was buried in the military cemetery of Be’er Ya’acov, with hundreds in attendance.