BREAKING NEWS

LA airport gunman pleads guilty to murder, other federal charges

A man who fatally shot a security screener and wounded three other people at a Los Angeles International Airport terminal in 2013 pleaded guilty on Tuesday to federal charges under an agreement with prosecutors to spare him the death penalty.
Paul Ciancia, 26, entered his guilty plea to murder of a federal officer and 10 other criminal counts during a hearing in federal court in Los Angeles, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office.
Ciancia is expected to face a sentence of life in prison when he is sentenced on Nov. 7.
Federal prosecutors said last year they intended to seek the death penalty for Ciancia if the case went to trial, citing what they said was his substantial planning and premeditation ahead of the crime and its impact on the victims.
They agreed not to seek the death penalty under a plea agreement that avoided a lengthy trial in the matter.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use

Read all Tweets >