BREAKING NEWS

N. Korea says US tourist it is holding will face trial

SEOUL - North Korea said on Saturday a Korean-American tourist, who has been held in prison by the reclusive state since late last year, will face trial for "committing crimes" against the North, a move that could further stoke tensions with the United States.
Kenneth Bae, 44, was in a group of five tourists who visited the northeastern city of Rajin on a five-day trip last November and has been held by police since then.
KCNA, the North's official news agency, said Bae entered the North on Nov. 3.
"In the process of investigation he admitted that he committed crimes aimed to topple the DPRK with hostility toward it," the KCNA report said, using the North's official title of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
"His crimes were proved by evidence," it said, adding he would soon be taken to the Supreme Court "to face judgment". 
Former US ambassador to the UN Bill Richardson, delivered a letter regarding Bae to officials during a trip to North Korea in January, although he was unable to meet Bae.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use and privacy policy