JUBA, Sudan — Political leaders in Southern Sudan on Tuesday angrily accused Sudan's Khartoum-based government of arming a rebel leader they say killed more than 200 southerners last week, a charge that could increase north-south tensions as the south prepares for independence.
Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management James Kok Ruea labeled last week's attack by rebel leader George Athor a "massacre."
Ruea said 201 southern civilians and security forces died during the attack in Jonglei state and that 10 died later in the hospital. He said nearly 160 of the dead were civilians, including children, the elderly and the internally displaced.
"They were chased into the river. I was the one who put them into a mass grave," an emotional sounding Ruea told The Associated Press.