The 14-centimeter-long handle of a toothbrushthat a woman in her 20s swallowed nearly two weeks ago was removedThursday from the duodenum in her small intestine before it was able tocause any damage, according to Rehovot's Kaplan Medical Center.
Gastroenterologyinstitute chief Dr. Ehud Meltzer said that the very rare case wasapparently unintentional, as the woman wanted to cause herself tovomit.
The top of the brush broke off before she swallowed the handle.
In surgery, the Kaplan team managed to pull the handle back intothe stomach and then pull it out via her throat with the loop on agastroscope.
She is recovering and in good condition.