BREAKING NEWS

UK police: Manchester attacker Salman Abedi likely built bomb himself

LONDON - Salman Abedi, the suicide bomber who killed 22 people at a pop concert in northern England last month, likely built the device he used himself in the days immediately before the attack, British police said.
Police said Abedi, a 22-year-old born in Britain to parents of Libyan birth, traveled to Libya on April 15 and returned on May 18, four days before he targeted the Ariana Grande show in Manchester.
Closed-circuit television footage showed him purchasing items for the bomb soon after he returned to Britain, including nuts from a hardware store that were used as shrapnel as well as the tin that was believed to contain the explosives, police said.
Detectives said they believed materials used for making the bomb were stored in a white Micra car that Abedi purchased on April 15, shortly before he flew to Libya.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use and privacy policy

Read all Tweets >