BREAKING NEWS

UN panel to investigate last month's Guinea killings

UN panel to investigate

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is establishing an international commission to investigate the attack on unarmed protesters in Guinea last month that left dozens dead and many injured, the UN said. A mission was leaving Friday to look into arrangements for setting up a commission to determine who was responsible, UN spokeswoman Michele Montas said. "The secretary-general remains deeply concerned by the tense situation in Guinea following the violent crackdown, which he had strongly condemned, on unarmed civilians," she said. A peaceful pro-democracy rally in the West African country on Sept. 28 took a violent turn when presidential guard troops opened fire on tens of thousands of demonstrators. A Guinean human rights group says 157 people were killed. The government put the death toll at 57.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use and privacy policy