BREAKING NEWS

US-backed forces say launch final assault against IS in Syria's Manbij

BEIRUT - US-backed forces battling Islamic State near the Turkish border in northern Syria said on Friday they had launched a final assault to flush the remaining jihadists out of the city of Manbij.
"This is the last operation and the last assault," said Sharfan Darwish, a spokesman for the Syrian Arab and Kurdish forces.
The Syria Democratic Forces, with air support from a US-led coalition, said last week they had taken almost complete control of Manbij, where a small number of IS fighters have been holed up.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use

Read all Tweets >