BREAKING NEWS

U.S. does not seek permanent Afghan military presence, official says

KABUL - A senior US government official said on Monday that the United States was committed to a withdrawal of foreign forces from Afghanistan after 17 years of war.
The official, who declined to be identified, described "significant progress" in talks last week with the Taliban in Qatar on a foreign troop pullout, but more negotiations were needed on a ceasefire."Of course we don't seek a permanent military presence in Afghanistan," the official said in the capital Kabul.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use

Read all Tweets >