In 1932, Gershon Agron founded The Palestine Post as an English-language daily promoting Zionism in the British Mandate. The newspaper’s intended readership was British officials, local Jews and Arabs, Jews abroad, tourists and Christian pilgrims.Zionist institutions considered the newspaper one of the most effective means of exerting influence on the British authorities. The Post’s first issue had a 1,200-copy run, but during its first year it achieved a daily circulation of close to 4,000 copies. Its circulation continued to grow, reaching a peak of 50,000 in 1944.On February 1, 1948, the building housing the Post’s editorial offices in downtown Jerusalem was bombed by two British Army deserters employed by Arab nationalist leader Abdul Kader Husseini. Yet the paper was still printed and on the streets the following morning.In 1950, following independence, the newspaper’s name was changed to The Jerusalem Post.