Special interactive Sukkot workshops for families and ushpizin exhibit tour. In Hebrew and English. • Artists’ Colony, Hutzot Hayotzer, 14 Hativat Yerushalayim Street, Studio No. 9, Monday October 9, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Free. (02) 990-5177, email@example.com, www.kolhaot.com
Grand Opening of the Kol HaOt Center
L’Haim with a creative writing workshop “Blessings in Livid Color.”
• Monday October 9, 7:30–9:30 p.m. Free. (02) 990- 5177, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.kolhaot.com
Explore the Artists’ Colony
Meet the artists, hear the stories and explore the galleries at Hutzot Hayotzer, Jerusalem’s Artists’ Colony. The galleries are offering 10% off all holiday items.
• 14 Hativat Yerushalayim, normal hours 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. , Friday October 6 and Wednesday October 11 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday October 9, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. www.artistscolony.co.il
Old City scavenger hunt
Race through the streets and alleyways of the Old City as you solve missions and look for clues. A fun and interactive way to learn about the history of Jerusalem. In English.
• Monday October 9, 10 a.m., and Wednesday October 11, 10 a.m. NIS 95 Adult, NIS 85 Child. 052-835- 8072, email@example.com
Preview Tours of the Gottesman Family Israel Aquarium
The Israel Aquarium will be running special 90-minute guided tours of the new facility (Hebrew only), recommended for ages 5+ during Sukkot. The aquarium is not fully open to the public yet; visitors must have a reservation for a specific tour. Entrance to the aquarium is not allowed through the Biblical Zoo and tickets are purchased separately. Come early to find parking since they share a parking lot.
• NIS 40 for adult and children age 3 and up. NIS 30 for zoo members, students, soldiers. www.israel-aquarium.net.il/english
Rappelling the Old City walls
Give your kids the most incredible experience when you let them rappel down the ancient walls of the Old City. Tickets can be purchased at the box office at Jaffa Gate. You can also enjoy self-guided tours of the Ramparts Walk, dress up like a sultan and a take a theatrical tour of the walls of the Old City.
• Sunday to Tuesday October 8 to 10, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. NIS 20 rappelling, NIS 25 theatrical tour, NIS 10 self-guided tour. (02) 627-7550
‘Hummus the Movie’
Jerusalem U invites you to a special Sukkot screening of Hummus the Movie. See the film that has been screened at over 100 film festivals around the world. With special guest kosher chef Jamie Geller. Reservations required. There will be a reception for VIP ticket holders after the movie.
• YES Planet, 4 Naomi Street, Sunday October 8 at 7:45 p.m. $18, $100, $360, $1,800. Jerusalemu.org/sukkot17
Art of Friendship Gala and Auction
The Art of Friendship Gala celebrates the creativity of youth with special needs, mentored by famous Jerusalem artists. The artwork will be displayed and auctioned. Additional viewing and early bidding will be available October 3 and October 6.
• Beit Chassid, 47 Emek Refaim Street, Sunday October 8. Preview and cocktails 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Program and auction 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. NIS 100 (exclusive preview & cocktails), NIS 50 (program & auction). firstname.lastname@example.org www.fcjerusalem.org
Sukkot for children at Beit Avi Chai
Enjoy a morning of activities, including the new play King Saul, about the first king of Israel and his struggles over kingship. Story hour in the sukka, creative mini-sukka building workshop and reading corner. All in Hebrew. Reservations required.
• 44 King George Avenue, Sunday and Monday October 8 and 9, 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., Tuesday October 10, 10 a.m. Admission NIS 25, story hour, NIS 5. Accompanying parent NIS 10. (02) 621-5900 www.bac.org.il
Ein Yael harvest festival
Meet craftsmen and experience an ancient market as you walk down an ancient Roman street. Craft workshops, live theater, archeological site tour, petting zoo and an ancient games tournament.
• Ein Yael Living Museum, Sunday to Tuesday October 8 to 10, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Child NIS 45, Adult NIS 35. (02) 645-1866 www.einyael.co.il
OneFamily Open House in Homes Across Jerusalem
Visit the family of a victim of terrorism and bring joy to their sukka. Your act of kindness will be the highlight of your holiday. Contact OneFamily to arrange the visit.
• Monday October 9, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. NIS 200 per family (minimum gift) email@example.com
Come out to support women entrepreneurs in Israel as they display their crafts, products and services. Meet the inspiring women behind these businesses, support the creative community and discover something new. Clothing, jewelry, Judaica, games, creative workshops for kids and adults. The fair will take place at the central tent.
• First Station, David Remez Street, weekdays 4:30 to 10:30 p.m.; Friday October 6 and Wednesday October 11, 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday October 7, 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. Free. For a full schedule: www.funinjerusalem.com/ shesparks, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bring your family and enjoy the Flying Cats and Dogs: The 32nd Kite-Flying Festival at the Israel Museum.
• Tuesday October 10, Kite-making workshops from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and kite flying from 4 p.m. Kite workshops NIS 30-40. Adult museum entrance fee NIS 54. Kids enter museum free from October 8 to 10. (02) 670-8811.
Derech Beit Lehem street festival
Derech Beit Lehem in Baka will be filled with an artists’ fair, street theater performances, central stages for music performances, art workshops, food stands, outdoor players, information centers, neighborhood activities, dancing, exhibitions and exhibits. This year’s theme will be urban renewal.
• Sunday October 8, 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Free.
Everything you ever wanted to know about sugar and sweets. Where does sugar hide in the food we eat? Enjoy a natural sugar workshop, attend a scientific demonstration and become a Sugar Detective. In Hebrew.
• Bloomfield Science Museum, 3 Museums Boulevard, Givat Ram, until October 14. Adult and child Ages 5+ NIS 60; Special 20%-off coupon from website. (02) 654-4888, www.funinjerusalem.com/sweet-science/
Theatrical tour of Mount Herzl
The Herzl Museum invites you to meet key figures in Israel’s history. Learn about the early years of the state as you follow the characters around Mount Herzl using humor & drama to teach you about Zionism. Hebrew. Reservations required.
• Friday October 6, 10 a.m. Sunday to Tuesday October 8 to 10, 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. for ages 5 to 12; noon and 3 p.m. for ages 10+. Museum tour + theatrical tour NIS 40, theatrical tour NIS 20. (02) 632-1515, email@example.com
Zomet Sukkot family technology tours
Zomet Experience will be hosting special English tours teaching families about halachic Judaism, modern life and technology. There is a Young Engineer’s Lab where you can create your own battery and gymboree for younger kids. Private tours also available.
• Alon Shvut, Gush Etzion, Monday October 9 and Tuesday October 10, 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. Adult and child (6+) NIS 25, child under 6 NIS 20. (02) 993-2111, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hapoel Jerusalem opening game of the season
Experience Jerusalem basketball at the opening game. It is a great way to end the Sukkot vacation for locals and tourists. Celebrate with Hapoel Jerusalem as they raise their championship pennant from last year.
• Payis Arena, Saturday October 14, 8:30 p.m. NIS 60 to NIS 130. (02) 679-5298, email@example.com
Woodstock Revival VIII
Lineup includes Libi and The Flashback (Rolling Stones); Shay Tochner, Yonatan Miller and Gabriella Lewis (Acoustic Folk); The Mark Rashkow Blues Band with Woodstock Blues; Jokers and Thieves (Creedence Clearwater Revival, CSN and Dylan) Overcover (Woodstock Medley). • Yellow Submarine, 13 Harechavim Street, Talpiot, Friday October 6, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Alcohol and soft drinks at the bar. Sukka in courtyard. Ages 3 to 14 NIS 30; 14 to 18 NIS 50; adult NIS 110, student/soldier/Yerushalmi Card NIS 80. (02) 679-4040, Ladidah2000@gmail.com
Elon Gold live in Jerusalem
A hilarious night of comedy with Elon Gold, star of Netflix special Chosen and Taken and The Tonight Show, to benefit StandWithUs.
• Hirsch Theater, Beit Hillel, 6 Eliyahu Shama Street, Tuesday October 10, 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. NIS 150 regular ticket, NIS 250 VIP. standwithus.co.il/comedy
Avraham Fried and Family in concert Support United Hatzolah as you enjoy the music of Avraham Fried and his family. The concert will honor renowned philanthropist Leonardo Farkas from Chile.
• Binyenei Ha’uma, Monday October 9, 7:30 p.m. $60 to $1,000, firstname.lastname@example.org
Pirchei Yerushalayim Concert
A concert to salute the Pirchei Yerushalayim troupe with the participation of Pirchei Yerushalayim, international klezmer artist Hanan Bar Sela and world virtuoso Pavel Levin and singers Aaron Razel and Aharon Ferrera.
• Zion Square, Monday October 9, 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Free.
Moshav Country Fair
The annual Moshav Country Fair showcases incredible musical talent, a children’s festival with arts and crafts and over 70 unique vendors.
• Moshav Mevo Modi’in, Monday October 9, noon to 9 p.m. Adult NIS 50, child NIS 25, family ticket, NIS 150. www.moshavfair.com
Last Man Standing Laser Tag
Experience the adrenaline rush as you race around the tanks and bunkers at Latrun, competing with friends in a game of Laser Tag. In Hebrew or English. • Latrun Armored Corps Museum, Sunday to Wednesday October 8 to 11, NIS 35 for 15 lives. (052) 645-3158, email@example.com
Gush Etzion second annual dog show
Come with your pet and share the excitement as house pets and all types of dog breeds compete in talent and appearance. Western Rodeo style.
• Ahuzat Haklavim, Efrat. Friday October 6 from 9 a.m. 10 a.m. – Dog breed show 11 a.m. – Halftime 11:15 a.m. – Freestyle dog contest 12 noon – Search and rescue demonstration NIS 15 per dog. (052) 691-9989, firstname.lastname@example.org
‘Families Create’ festival at Kakadu Families are invited to create decorative wooden art pieces with renowned artist Reut Shachar. This is a great activity for kids of all ages and even adults can enjoy the hands-on workshop. In Hebrew and English.
• Moshav Tzafririm, near Beit Shemesh, October 6, October 8 to 10 and October 13 at 8:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., NIS 50 per person. 052-347-7476 or (02) 999-8922. email@example.com
For a full list of events and activities in Jerusalem this Sukkot see the Sukkot Family Guide www.funinjerusalem.com/sukkot
The writer is the founder of Fun In Jerusalem (www.funinjerusalem.com) and Party in Jerusalem (www.partyinjerusalem.com). She lives in Jerusalem with her husband and three kids and loves to inspire family fun. firstname.lastname@example.org