The Jerusalem Post's top 5 stories of March 15

Homeless man mistaken for terrorist puts north Tel Aviv on war footing, Russia seeks to reassure Israel over Syria withdrawal plan, Erekat discusses French peace push, and more.

JPost top 5 logo (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
JPost top 5 logo
(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
1. A report of a suspected stabbing attack on an IDF soldier sent police and Shin Bet agents tearing across north Tel Aviv on Tuesday afternoon, until police determined there was no terror attack, and the so-called assailant was most likely a homeless man who had an altercation with the soldier.
Read more: Homeless man mistaken for terrorist puts north Tel Aviv on war footing

2. A Russian diplomat sought to reassure Israel on Tuesday that its security would not be harmed by the winding down of Moscow's military intervention in Syria's civil war, but a top Israeli lawmaker said the ramifications could not yet be gauged.
Read more: Russia seeks to reassure Israel over Syria withdrawal plan
3. PLO Secretary General Saeb Erekat said on Tuesday that there was no French initiative for peace in the Middle East, but only ideas for holding an international conference.
Read more: Erekat: Palestinians would lose most if French peace push failed
4. Israeli defense officials, eager to preserve security coordination with the Palestinian Authority, are examining ways to lower friction between the army and the locals in Palestinian towns, the country’s top military official told a parliamentary committee on Tuesday.
Read more: IDF chief says may consider reducing incursions into Palestinian towns

5. Documents related to a lawsuit heard last week by a federal court in New York suggest that Iran and Hezbollah were involved in the 9/11 terror attacks, the London-based Arab daily Asharq al-Awsat reported Tuesday.
Read more: Lawsuit over 9/11 attacks alleges Iran and Hezbollah involvement