Embassy gunman's remand extended

Injaz held for minor crimes; standoff unpunishable in Israel.

Injaz 311 (photo credit: Associated Press)
Injaz 311
(photo credit: Associated Press)
Tel Aviv Magistrate's Court ruled to extend the remand of Palestinian gunman Nadim Injaz by one week on Wednesday.
Injaz broke into the Turkish embassy in Tel Aviv on Tuesday night, and threatened the workers with a knife and toy gun before being injured by a gunshot apparently fired by embassy security staff.
RELATED:Gunman broke into UK embassy 4 years ago Commander, soldier convicted in shooting of Palestinian
TA rally to remember gay club murders
During the hearing prosecutors claimed that the suspect was involved in a number of crimes, including illegally residing in Israel, breaking and entering with the intention of committing a crime, threatening and possession of a knife, Army Radio reported.
Injaz was evacuated from the Turkish embassy and brought into Israeli police custody Tuesday evening.
Injaz was swarmed by photographers and journalists as he was escorted by police into an ambulance outside the building and brought to Ichilov Hospital in Tel Aviv for treatment of his gunshot wounds.
Injaz was fully conscious as he left the building and flashed a victory sign for reporters as he cursed profusely while he was taken away.
No others were hurt in the standoff incident and no hostages had been taken, police confirmed.
Because the embassy building is considered Turkish sovereign territory, the acts committed by Injaz during and immediately preceding the standoff are not legally punishable in Israel. Instead, Israeli police arrested Injaz under suspicion of illegally residing in Israel due to his lack of proper identification papers.
Injaz gained entry to the Turkish embassy in Tel Aviv on Tuesday evening, claimed he was armed, and demanded safe passage to Ankara, before being injured by a gunshot apparently fired by embassy security staff.  Conflicting reports emerged about how he was able to gain access the premises.
Turkish reporters from television channel "TRT – Turk", who were inside the embassy after Injaz was taken for medical treatment, reported that embassy staff said the man had entered the building by climbing through a second floor window; an area that is reportedly a blind spot for the building's security.
TRT Turk reported that Injaz then went directly to the first counselor of the embassy and sought asylum from the Turkish government, saying his life was in danger. Because he was in the building after operating hours, security was immediately called in order to remove him from the building. Injaz was shot after he reportedly refused to leave the building started acting in an inappropriate manner. TRT Turk also said they had heard reports that psychiatric drugs were found in Injaz's bag.
They also said that were reports that when security guards made their way upstairs to remove Injaz, he attempted to take the First Counselor hostage.
Police said he was involved in a similar incident at the British embassy in Tel Aviv in 2006.