Ra'anana man stabs mother to death, wounds brother

1 killed, 1 wounded in J

police koresh street 248.88 (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)
police koresh street 248.88
(photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)
A 26-year-old man went on a lethal knife attack rampage against his family on Friday evening, stabbing his mother to death and seriously wounding his brother in Ra'anana. And in downtown Jerusalem, an off-duty IDF soldier was killed and another young man was seriously wounded overnight Thursday, in a scuffle outside a nightclub in downtown Jerusalem. The motive for the Ra'anana attack remained unclear on Saturday, though initial reports suggest that the suspect was struggling with mental health problems. The suspect, Yovav Elguati, 26, told detectives that his family was "out to get him," and that they had been pressuring him to find a job. He added that his family had hired a personal coach to help him find his place in society. Early on Friday evening, the man arrived at the home of his mother, Ariana Margolis, and stabbed her repeatedly in the upper body following a struggle. Despite her injuries, Margolis, 59, who was a doctor, managed to place a call to Magen David Adom. Paramedics who arrived at her home attempted to prevent massive blood loss before rushing her to the Meir Medical Center in Kfar Saba, where Margolis was pronounced dead. During her last moments of consciousness, Margolis warned rescue officials that her son was heading to his 38-year-old brother's home, also in Ra'anana, to murder him. Paramedics rushed to the brother's address and found him seriously injured with several knife wounds. He was also taken to the Meir Medical Center, and was in fair condition on Saturday. The suspect was arrested outside his brother's home. He was covered in blood during his arrest, police said, and was described by officers as being "very calm." "I murdered my mother and brother," he told police. After stabbing his mother, the suspect made his way to his brother's apartment in his mother's car, police said. While attacking his brother, the suspect lightly wounded his brother's wife, who had attempted to fend him off. Ariana Margolis's ex-husband arrived at her home on Friday evening but was not allowed by officers to enter the attack scene. He collapsed after hearing the news of his ex-wife's death and son's injury, and required medical assistance on the scene. The suspect recreated the attacks for police on Friday night and made a full confession, officers said. He is expected to be sent to a psychiatric hospital for an examination to determine whether he is fit to stand trial. The Jerusalem stabbing took place around 4:30 a.m., on the capital's Koresh Street. An initial police investigation revealed that an argument had erupted inside a club between two young women, who were then assisted by their friends. Two of the men pulled out knives, and they stabbed two other people, before fleeing the scene for Ma'aleh Adumim. IDF soldier Yitzhak Mor, 20, was evacuated to Hadassah University Hospital in Ein Kerem, where he died of his wounds shortly thereafter. The other victim was taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center in fair-to-moderate condition. After setting up checkpoints in the capital, police arrested two people on suspicion of involvement in the incident. The suspects were questioned overnight. Police have established a special team to investigate the incident. Also over the weekend, a spate of unrelated stabbings and a shooting occurred around the country, leaving one man dead and several people hospitalized. In Nazareth, a 22-year-old man was shot dead while driving in his vehicle. A passerby, 20, was caught up in the attack and sustained moderate wounds from stray bullets. Police say the shooting was criminal-related. No suspects have been arrested. In Netanya, three people - a husband and wife and a landlord - were evacuated from an apartment on Saturday evening by paramedics, suffering from stab wounds. They are in fair condition and have been hospitalized at the city's Laniado Medical Center. Police found a baby in the apartment, and transferred it to social services custody. An initial investigation found that an alcohol-fulled confrontation had erupted, leading to the stabbings. The injured "are too intoxicated to communicate with police at this stage," police said on Saturday. In Rehovot, a 17-year-old was rushed to the Kaplan Medical Center on Friday evening, also with a stab wound. He was hospitalized in serious condition. Police have opened an investigation. Meanwhile, a 22-year-old man was taken to the Assaf Harofe Medical Center in Tzrifin on Thursday night after being stabbed by two men. The attack took place in Rishon Lezion's entertainment and bar district in the city's old industrial zone, the scene of frequent fights between intoxicated youths. Also in Rishon Lezion, a 16-year-old was stabbed in the leg after getting into a fight with a number of other teenagers. The attack followed a verbal altercation that began when the stab victim, who was holding a party in his home, stepped outside to speak to a group of youths. Police have arrested a suspect in connection to the attack. On Thursday evening, a Rishon Lezion Magistrate extended the custody of four minors arrested on suspicion of being involved in a feud that led to a gun attack on a school bus that killed 15-year-old Amjad Shahuna near Kafr Kasim earlier in the day. Three minors were remanded in custody until for six days, while a fourth minor was ordered to remain in police custody for eight days. Abe Selig contributed to this report.