In letter to defense miniser, Labor MK slams settler leader as one who spreads "toxic doctrine in front of the TV cameras."
By TOVAH LAZAROFF, SHELLY PAZ
Former Labor MK Efraim Sneh on Sunday laid the blame for a portion of the unrest in Hebron last week on the head of right-wing activists, particularly former Kedumim mayor Daniella Weiss.
In a letter to Defense Minister Ehud Barak, he demanded that Weiss be placed in jail.
Weiss was arrested in the aftermath of last Thursday's evacuation of the disputed four-story Hebron building known as Beit Hashalom. She was later released, although she was banned from reentering Judea.
"It is unprecedented that a person who heads armed phalanges that operate against the State of Israel and its soldiers should be free to walk and spread their toxic doctrine in front of the TV cameras, as if there were no law in Israel and no judges in Jerusalem," Sneh wrote to Barak.
Sneh - who is running for the Knesset under the banner of a new political party, Strong Israel, and plans to visit Hebron on Monday morning - is not the only person who has targeted Weiss.
As events in Hebron heated up ahead of the evacuation and clashes erupted between right-wing activists and Palestinians as well as the IDF, Dani Dayan - who heads the Council of Jewish Communities of Judea, Samaria and the Gaza Strip - demanded that she be removed from the area.
The IDF also believes she is largely responsible for the Hebron violence, according to security sources.
But Weiss, in turn, has laid the blame for last week's events squarely on the shoulders of the government's "anti-Semitic policies."
The events of last Thursday will soon become another mark of failure for Barak, she said, warning that Barak himself would soon be "evicted" from his post as defense minister.
Weiss is of the opinion that it was the Border Police, the IDF and the Palestinians who acted violently on Thursday. The Border Police, she said, have failed to defend the Jews in Hebron who have been under attack from Palestinians. Activists and setters in Hebron only acted in self-defense, she added.
"We will stand up for our rights and our principles to be anywhere in all of the Land of Israel," said Weiss. "Even if they try to stop us, we will continue the struggle."
Yaakov Katz contributed to this report.
var cont = `Sign up for The Jerusalem Post Premium Plus for just $5
Upgrade your reading experience with an ad-free environment and exclusive content