Iron Dome intercepts two rockets over Beersheba; Three Israelis hurt in south

Later in the afternoon, Palestinian rockets slammed into two homes in Sderot.

MDA on the scene 370 (photo credit: Courtesy MDA)
MDA on the scene 370
(photo credit: Courtesy MDA)
The Iron Dome anti-missile system intercepted two rockets which were fired at the Negev town of Beersheba on Friday evening.
Two other rockets landed in open areas in the Negev's most populous city. Palestinians in Gaza launched dozens of projectiles at Israel since the 72-hour cease-fire expired early Friday morning.
Three people were injured by the shrapnel from a mortar shell fired into the Sha'ar Negev Regional Council from Gaza shortly after noon on Friday as Palestinians launched at least 50 rockets into Israel just before the three-day cease-fire was to expire.
IDF medics in the area provided immediate medical treatment on the scene until a Magen David Adom ambulance arrived.
One of the injured is a 71-year-old man in moderate-to-severe condition. He suffered from extensive blood loss resulting from shrapnel injuries to his arms, according to an MDA official at the scene. He was taken to Soroka University Medical Center.
The second injured person, a 20-year-old man, sustained light injuries and was taken to Barzilai Medical Center, MDA reported. Another Israeli was lightly hurt by shrapnel.
Later in the afternoon, Palestinian rockets slammed into two homes in Sderot. They were unoccupied at the time.
Earlier in the day, a community's security fence and several houses were damaged by rocket fire from Gaza.
Jerusalem had hoped Hamas would agree to another 72 hour extension to allow time for Israeli and Palestinian negotiating teams in Cairo to come to an agreement that would end Operation Protective Edge, which has now entered its 32nd day.
Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said his organization had rejected the idea of an extension, but would continue to negotiate.
Eshkol residents were told to stay within 15 seconds of a safe room or bomb shelter. Four hours before the cease-fire ended, when it appeared that the Cairo talks would fail, two mortars from Gaza struck that region.