print
gohome
Fighting resumes in Sudan's Darfur after January outbreak
By REUTERS
02/22/2013
KHARTOUM - Fighting re-erupted in the north and south of Sudan's strife-torn Darfur region, tribal and rebel officials said on Friday, after clashes last month that killed hundreds of people and displaced more than 130,000.

Conflict has plagued the vast arid region since mainly non-Arab tribes revolted against the Arab government in Khartoum in 2003, accusing it of political and economic neglect. Violence has ebbed since 2004 but picked up again in recent months.

Heavy fighting broke out in January between two Arab tribes, the Bani Hussein and Rizeigat, over gold in the Jebel Amer area of North Darfur, displacing 100,000 people, according to the United Nations.

Tribal leaders mediated a ceasefire but clashes flared again on Thursday in the El Sireaf area, killing 21 people and wounding at least 33, according to a Bani Hussein leader who asked not to be identified. "Clashes lasted for eight hours after some Rizeigat troops attacked the area yesterday morning."

He said some 500 people had been killed and 128 villages torched since the outbreak of fighting in January. "The situation is very bad," he added.
print gohome
JPost.com: Arab-Israeli Conflict | Israel News | Diaspora | Middle East | Opinion | Premium | Blogs | Not Just News | Edition Francaise | Green Israel

Copyright © 2014 Jpost Inc. All rights reserved • Terms of UsePrivacy Policy