print
gohome
Print Edition
Breaking news.(Photo by: JPOST STAFF)
Philippines' Duterte spokesman says ban on open pit mining remains
By REUTERS
11/20/2017
MANILA - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has not lifted a ban on open pit mining, his spokesman said on Monday, amid plans by a government panel to seek the removal of the policy.

"I assure you that this is one of the instances when I personally asked the President if there's been a change in policy. And he says that's there's still no new policy on this, there's still a ban on new open pit mining," Harry Roque told a media briefing.

The Mining Industry Coordinating Council last month recommended the lifting of the ban on open pit mining and Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu has said he was hopeful that the restriction would be removed before year-end.
print gohome
JPost.com: Arab-Israeli Conflict | Israel News | Diaspora | Middle East | Opinion | Premium | Blogs | Not Just News | Edition Francaise | Green Israel

Copyright © 2014 Jpost Inc. All rights reserved • Terms of UsePrivacy Policy