print
gohome
Print Edition
Israeli tourists, arrested over the alleged rape of a British tourist in the resort town of Ayia Napa, arrive to appear before a magistrate for a remand hearing in the Famagusta courthouse in Paralimni, Cyprus.(Photo by: REUTERS/YIANNIS KOURTOGLOU)
New charges emerge for Cyprus gang rape suspects
By ALON HOCHMON/MAARIV
07/22/2019
As for the investigation itself, the lawyer claimed it was "gentle, long and fair. I want to praise the investigative authorities who are trying to find the truth."
The dozen suspects in the gang rape case in the Cypriot resort of Ayia Napa may now face  further legal accusations, as police investigators have recommended adding to the rape allegation the further charge of conspiracy to commit a crime.

The additional charge could result in legal consequences for the teenage boys who did not have sex with the 19-year-old British tourist but were in the room at the time of the alleged rape. Even if no DNA evidence surfaces linking the youths to the rape, they could still be found guilty of this second charge.
 
Attorney Nir Jeslovich, who represents two of the suspects, said that the police’s decision surprised him. “This is a charge that changes the playing field and also endangers the boys whose DNA will not be found on the girl,” he said.





The investigation into the events has been ongoing for three days; the two main suspects were interrogated Sunday. They denied the allegations and claimed that the accusations were false. Their versions of the story were found to be mutually consistent.
 
Jeslovich had previously expressed an expectation that some of the boys would be released.
 
“The main suspect did not give conflicting versions. I can say that he showed evidence during the investigation that corroborates his claim. There was another person who had sex with her and apparently a third person who documented it,” Jeslovich said.
 
As for the investigation of the two main suspects, the lawyer said it was “gentle, long and fair. I want to praise the investigative authorities who are trying to find the truth.”
 
Subsequent investigation involved three additional suspects who stopped cooperating with the investigation. Three others claimed they were not in the area and named the bar they were in during those hours – between midnight and three in the morning.

Rebecca Araten contributed to this report.

print gohome
JPost.com: Arab-Israeli Conflict | Israel News | Diaspora | Middle East | Opinion | Premium | Blogs | Not Just News | Edition Francaise | Green Israel

Copyright © 2014 Jpost Inc. All rights reserved • Terms of UsePrivacy Policy