Stay Secure on the Go: Why a VPN is a Must-Have for Travelers
When preparing for a trip, we all have our essentials: passport, camera, valuables. But have you ever thought about downloading a VPN app before you hit the road? Let's see if you need one for your next adventure.
Do you need a VPN for traveling? What’s a VPN, anyway?
In short, yes, a VPN can be really useful in many cases. But first, let's get a quick understanding of what a VPN actually is.
What is a virtual private network?
A virtual private network (VPN) is a cybersecurity solution that protects your data and changes your virtual location.
It's virtual because it enhances your online security using digital methods. No physical cables are involved in connecting your device to the website's server.
It's private because, when you're using a VPN, no one can see what you're doing online. Your internet service provider, workplace administrator, or other third party won't have access to your online activities.
It's a network because multiple devices can interact using the VPN.
What does a VPN do?
So, what a VPN does, exactly, and why is it crucial for travelers like you? Here are the main benefits of a VPN:
Protects your data
Picture yourself sitting in a cozy café, enjoying your cappuccino while connecting to free Wi-Fi. Sounds great, right? But here's the catch – public Wi-Fi networks are often targeted by hackers looking to steal personal data.
A lot of this data is vulnerable. More than a third of public Wi-Fi users log into personal accounts requiring a password, 22% use credit cards, and 31% log into online banking. This can lead to data breaches. For example, Forbes reports that 40% of their respondents had personal data compromised while using public Wi-Fi.
With a VPN, you create a secure and encrypted tunnel between your device and the internet, keeping your data safe from prying eyes.
2. Changes your virtual location
Tired of those frustrating geo-restrictions that prevent you from accessing your favorite shows from back home? A VPN can help you bypass those restrictions by connecting you to a server in a different country. This way, you can enjoy your beloved content no matter where you are.
3. Ensures online anonymity
Privacy is essential, and a VPN helps you maintain your online anonymity. By masking your IP address and encrypting your internet traffic, a VPN prevents anyone from tracking your online activities. Whether you're working, chatting with loved ones, or simply browsing the web, a VPN adds an extra layer of privacy to your online experience.
VPN checklist: Ready to travel securely?
Wonder if getting a VPN for your trip is worth it? Use this tool if:
- You want to safely log into your accounts on public Wi-Fi networks, like those found in hotels, cafes, or airports.
- You want to access your favorite streaming services from back home.
- You want to protect your personal and financial information while making online transactions or banking on the go.
- You want to browse the internet privately and anonymously.
- You want to bypass geo-restrictions and access websites and content that are blocked or limited in your current location.
- You want to secure your communication and ensure your messages and calls remain private.
- You want to avoid censorship and have unrestricted access to information and news sources.
If any of these reasons resonate with you, then a VPN is a must-have for your upcoming journey.
What to look for in a VPN provider?
Now, you might want to know where to start — that is, what VPN provider to go with. Here are some key factors to consider.
- Strong security. Look for a provider that offers top-notch AES-256 encryption, along with features like a kill switch and DNS leak protection to keep your data secure.
- Wide server network. The more server locations a VPN provides globally, the more flexibility you'll have in connecting to different regions and accessing content.
- User-friendly interface. A VPN should be easy to use, even for tech movies. That's why it's important to choose a VPN provider that offers a simple and intuitive interface.
- Apps for different devices. We use all kinds of gadgets like phones, tablets, and laptops. When picking a VPN, make sure they have dedicated apps for different platforms along with browser extensions. VeePN, a top-rated VPN service, explains how the two differ and which one is better to download.
- Reliable customer support. Finally, you never know when you might encounter a glitch or have a burning question. In this case, responsive and knowledgeable customer support can make a significant difference. Check if the VPN provider offers 24/7 customer support through various channels, such as live chat, email, or phone.
Remember, investing in a reputable VPN provider is an investment in your online security and privacy while traveling. Stay secure, browse freely, and make the most of your travel experience with the added protection and benefits of a VPN.
This article was written in cooperation with Amanda Raynold