Mac Haifa continues resurgence under Benado

Greens continue revival under new coach Arik Benado, beating Hapoel Haifa 3-0 in the derby at Kiryat Eliezer Stadium.

Maccabi Haifa celebrates derby win 370 (photo credit: Uzi Gal)
Maccabi Haifa celebrates derby win 370
(photo credit: Uzi Gal)
Maccabi Haifa continued its revival under new coach Arik Benado on Sunday night, beating Hapoel Haifa 3-0 in the derby at Kiryat Eliezer Stadium for its second straight win.
Benado was named as Reuven Atar’s full-time replacement last week with the Greens only having a single win to their name from 10 matches.
However, he has since guided the team to two victories in less than a week, with Maccabi also beating Betar Jerusalem 2-1 last Monday.
Benado’s men climbed to eighth place with the sweet triumph over their crosstown rival, and suddenly find themselves just four points off Jerusalem in fourth place.
“I couldn’t have asked for more,” said a delighted Benado. “We deserved this win because we were the better team throughout the match. We hadn’t won a derby in two years and this win is dedicated to our fans. We have taken another step towards the top of the standings and we are hoping to continue this way.”
Maccabi controlled the possession in the first half, but it had to wait until the 59th minute to take the lead.
Hen Ezra did all the hard work before laying the ball off for Eyal Golasa, who scored his first league goal in nine months.
A goalkeeping howler by Tvrtko Kale gifted the visitors the second goal of the night in the 74th minute, with Weeam Amasha completing the simple task of rolling the ball into the empty net.
Ezra scored the goal he deserved two minutes later and ensured the Greens found the back of the net three times in one match for the first time this season.
On Monday, Hapoel Tel Aviv visits third-placed Ashdod SC, with the Reds needing to win by four clear goals to leapfrog Maccabi Tel Aviv back into first place on goal difference.
Earlier Sunday, a 44-year-old Betar Jerusalem fan from Bnei Brak was barred from entering soccer stadiums for three years by the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court after pleading guilty to throwing a lighter during last Monday’s 2-1 defeat to Maccabi Haifa that hit linesman Amihai Moses and delayed the match at Teddy Stadium for several minutes.
The Israel Football Association disciplinary court handed Betar a NIS 70,000 fine and sentenced the team to host its next two matches away from Teddy last Thursday as a punishment for the incident.