The Jerusalem Post annual conference: 7 Israeli ministers will meet you there!
Turkish paper names IDF soldiers from 'Marmara'
ByJPOST.COM STAFF
September 26, 2011 10:45
List of 174 names, apparently acquired through Facebook, social sites, was reportedly transferred to Turkish prosecutors; includes top officers.
Israeli commandos raid Mavi Marmara

Mavi Marmara Raid 311. (photo credit:REUTERS)

A Turkish newspaper has published a list of names of Israelis, who it alleges are IDF soldiers that participated in the 2010 Mavi Marmara raid that left nine Turkish nationals dead.

Turkish daily Sabah, wrote that the names were acquired by analyzing social connections on Facebook and Twitter, as well as comparing photographs on those websites with ones taken on board the Marmara.



Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Erdogan plays out anti-Israel routine during UN speech
Turkish PM: Gaza flotilla raid was 'grounds for war'

The list of 174 names was transferred to Turkish prosecutors, in addition to pictures of 10 IDF soldiers the paper said Turkish intelligence agencies could not identify. Included on the list were not only those IDF soldiers who participated in the operation to stop the Gaza Flotilla, but also senior IDF officials.

Earlier this month, a lawyer for the Turkish based Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH) said he had submitted a list of the soldiers involved in the Mavi Marmara raid to Turkish prosecutors.

"We have presented a list of Israeli soldiers who gave the order for and who were involved in the attack on the Turkish flotilla to the Istanbul prosecutor's office," Ramazan Ariturk, lawyer for the group that organized the Gaza flotilla said.

"Currently we are waiting for the prosecutor's office to issue an order for arrest," he added.

The  move came as the Istanbul Chief Prosecutor's Office appealed to the Turkish Intelligence Organization (MİT) in order to obtain information on the identities of the IDF soldiers who were involved in the raid which left nine Turks dead in May of last year, Turkish newspaper Zaman reported in early September.

According the paper, an affirmative answer from MİT would allow the prosecutor to open court cases against Israeli officials including Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, President Shimon Peres, former IDF chief of General Staff Lt.- Gen. (res.) Gabi Ashkenazi, and the soldiers involved in the raid.

The charges would include the “willful murder and torture” and “limiting freedom” of the passengers, the paper reported.
Relevant to your professional network? Please share on Linkedin

Tags:
  • IDF
  • Turkey
  • mavi marmara
  • Prev Article
    Israel transfers motorbikes donated to PA police
    PA police stang guard in West Bank
    Israeli commandos raid Mavi Marmara
    'IHH gathered IDF names, not Turkish intelligence'
    Next Article
    Share this article via
    from around the web
    Related Content
    idf hebron
    August 22, 2014
    Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

    By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF

    Top Stories
    Israel Weather
    • 10 - 24
      Beer Sheva
      9 - 20
      Tel Aviv - Yafo
    • 12 - 19
      Jerusalem
      10 - 20
      Haifa
    • 13 - 27
      Elat
      10 - 24
      Tiberias