Iran suspends Saudi Arabia pilgrimage over alleged sexual assault of 2 boys

The move is likely to deepen tensions between the two regional powers.

By REUTERS
April 13, 2015 12:43
Mecca, Saudi Arabia

Mecca, Saudi Arabia. (photo credit: REUTERS)

DUBAI - Iran has suspended flights to Saudi Arabia for the year-round Umrah Islamic pilgrimage over allegations that Saudi security officers sexually assaulted two Iranian boys, Culture Minister Ali Jannati said on Monday.

The move is likely to deepen tensions between the two regional powers, who are at odds over the war in Yemen.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The teenage boys alleged last week that the officers abused them while conducting a security search at Jeddah airport.

"Until these guilty people are put on trial and punished, the Umrah will be stopped and Iranian flights will be suspended," the Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA) cited Jannati as saying.

The boys were returning to Tehran from the Umrah, a pilgrimage to Mecca that can be undertaken at any time of the year other than during the Hajj.

Several hundred protesters marched on the Saudi embassy in Tehran on Saturday, despite a ban on public demonstrations.

Jannati said the Saudi authorities had arrested the perpetrators and promised to punish them, ISNA reported.


Related Content

April 20, 2018
International inspection vehicles arrive at site of Syria chemical weapons attack

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 16 - 25
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 13 - 21
    Jerusalem
    17 - 21
    Haifa
  • 22 - 35
    Elat
    18 - 28
    Tiberias