A month has passed, but the Barkan terrorist is still on the loose

The officer said that Na’alwa does not use phones or any other technological mode of communication, making it more difficult for Israeli security forces to locate him.

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
November 4, 2018 10:01
1 minute read.
A month has passed, but the Barkan terrorist is still on the loose

IDF forces searching for the Barkan terrorist . (photo credit: IDF SPOKESMAN’S UNIT)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A month has passed since the deadly terrorist attack at the Barkan Industrial Zone in October, but despite the time that has passed and an intensive manhunt by Israel, security forces have yet to arrest the terrorist. 
 
Ashraf Walid Suleiman Na’alwa, 23, from the Palestinian village of Shuweika near the West Bank city of Tulkarm, shot and killed two of his fellow employees on October 7 at the Alon Group factory in the industrial park. 

Na’alwa had a permit to work at Barkan and had been employed as an electrician at the factory. He entered the factory at around 7 a.m. with a semi-automatic Carl Gustav rifle hidden in his bag, which he left on the ground floor. He then fixed an electrical problem on the second floor, where he saw Kim Levengrond-Yehezkel and Ziv Hajbi already at work.

He then went downstairs to get handcuffs and his bag, and returned, fatally shooting his two fellow employees. Footage from security cameras captured Na’alwa running from the scene with the gun in his hand.

The IDF and the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) have been hunting for Na'alwa since the attack, so far with no success.

A senior IDF officer told Army Radio Sunday that security forces had been close to capturing Na’alwa on several occasions, but that he succeeded in escaping at the last minute. In addition, the officer said that Na’alwa does not use mobile phones or any other communications technology, making it more difficult for Israeli security forces to locate him. 




Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.
Israeli army searches West Bank village for assailant who killed two Israelis, August 10, 2018 (Reuters)

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Palestinian Protester
November 16, 2018
March of Return protests continue along Gaza-Israel border, clashes ensue

By ZACHARY KEYSER