Abbas: If Security Council bid fails, we may end security cooperation with Israel

PA president says that he will pursue membership at the International Criminal Court if the US vetoes his resolution that would set a timetable for Israeli withdrawal from West Bank.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
October 1, 2014 10:52
1 minute read.
Mahmoud Abbas

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas gestures during a meeting with Palestinian leadership in the West Bank city of Ramallah. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas vowed Tuesday to join the International Criminal Court at the Hague in the event that his efforts at the UN Security Council to set a timetable forcing the withdrawal of Israel to the pre-1967 lines should fail.

The Bethlehem-based Ma'an News Agency quoted Abbas as telling reporters in Ramallah: "We started work on the resolution to get a state on the '67 borders with east Jerusalem as its capital which we will submit to the Security Council."

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


He said under the plan, "the occupation would be ended in two or three years."

Abbas said he would submit the plan, mandating an Israeli withdrawal within a defined time frame, in two to three weeks to the UN Security Council. Should the US choose to veto the resolution, Abbas said he would then go the ICC route, which could potentially lead to a war crimes probe against Israel, and even against the Palestinians themselves.

Abbas also said the Palestinian Authority would reconsider relations with Israel, including security coordination, should the bid fail.

The PA president added however, that he would not allow for the protest against Israel to turn violent. "I will not allow the firing of a single bullet," he said.

Abbas described relations with the US as tense after the Obama administration criticized the PA president's speech to the UN General Assembly last week.



He said that, despite the tension, he would not back down from the possible confrontation with the US that his Security Council bid could cause.

Abbas said during his UN General Assembly address on Friday that he saw no point in continuing peace talks with Israel without a firm timetable for Israel's withdrawal from the West Bank in place.

The PA president drew the ire of Israel by accusing the Jewish state of committing "genocide" against the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

US State Department spokeswoman Jan Psaki called Abbas's speech counterproductive and provocative.

Related Content

July 23, 2018
IDF strikes Gaza terror cell for second time in 24-hours

By TOVAH LAZAROFF