Arab League head dismisses Liberman's partial embrace of Saudi initiative

Nabil el-Araby says no Israeli government took initiative seriously, therefore there's no reason to take FM seriously.

By
August 14, 2014 20:51
1 minute read.
cairo talks

Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erekat (L) talks with Arab League Chief Nabil el-Araby during their meeting at the Arab League in Cairo August 11, 2014.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman may have come around to the 2002 Saudi peace initiative, later adopted and slightly modified by the Arab League, but the Arab League has not yet come around to Avigdor Liberman.

Liberman, in an interview this week with The Jerusalem Post, broke new ground by saying that the Saudi initiative could be a basis for a “regional comprehensive solution.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Arab League head Nabil el-Araby, asked about Liberman’s comments at a press conference in Qatar, said it was impossible to build on what Liberman said and that the only thing he was interested in was creating divisions between the Arab world and the rest of the world.

Araby said that the initiative had been on the table for 12 years and no Israeli government took it seriously.

He said there was no reason, therefore, to believe Liberman’s sincerity when he said it might be possible to use it as a basis to reach a wider regional accord.

In a departure from his previous position, Liberman said in the Tuesday interview that the 2002 Saudi initiative could form the basis for arranging Israel’s relations with the Arab world, as long as it did not include any reference to a Palestinian right of refugee return.

“I think the Saudi initiative is much more relevant today than it was previously,” he said, adding that the central idea behind the proposal was not only an agreement between Israel and the Palestinians, but an arrangement with the entire Arab world.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Asked what has changed to make him more amenable to the Saudi plan, the foreign minister said there was a greater commonality of interests than there was a decade ago between Israel and the moderate Arab world.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is seen in Jerusalem District Court
September 22, 2018
Report: Former PM Olmert met with PA President Abbas in Paris

By HAGAY HACOHEN