Attorney-General to Ya'alon: Who says you can order separate buses?

Following reports that Ya'alon was planning to order separate Israeli, Palestinian buses in the West Bank, Weinstein demands clarifications.

By
October 27, 2014 20:30
1 minute read.
Jericho

Israeli soldiers check cars at a checkpoint near the West Bank City of Jericho. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Attorney-General Yehuda Weinstein on Monday sent a message to Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon that he may not be able to order separate Israeli and Palestinian buses in parts of the West Bank on his own authority.

Following reports on Sunday that Ya'alon intended to do just that, Weinstein instructed Deputy Attorney-General for Legislative Affairs Dina Zilber to write Defense Ministry Legal Advisor Ahaz Ben Ari, demanding clarifications and an explanation by November 9.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Zilber clearly implied to Ben Ari that Weinstein had not been consulted and wanted to know if Ya'alon intended to try to make buses separate in parts of Samaria as well as order all Palestinians working in Israel to come and leave from the same crossing.

Clearly preparing to weigh in on the issue, Zilber demanded that the defense ministry explain what gave it the authority to unilaterally make such a decision, a review of the security factors involved, and what alternate options had been investigated.

Ya’alon’s new security edict, which has yet to be put in place, would require Palestinian laborers to head home at night through the same IDF checkpoints from which they entered, security sources told The Jerusalem Post on Sunday.

Technically speaking, Palestinians can continue to use Israeli buses on either side of the barrier, but the edict makes this very cumbersome.

There is no start date for the security edict, which is likely to begin with a pilot program at the Eyal crossing in Samaria, security sources said.



Tovah Lazaroff contributed to this report.

Related Content

Antonio Guterres‏
August 18, 2018
U.N. chief suggests options for 'improved Palestinian protection'

By REUTERS