Clashes erupt on the Temple Mount ahead of Jewish New Year

No serious injuries were reported and the compound was opened to visitors after the violence subsided.

September 13, 2015 09:23
1 minute read.

Security forces break barricade into al-Aksa Mosque

Security forces break barricade into al-Aksa Mosque


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Israeli police raided the plaza outside Jerusalem's al-Aqsa mosque on Sunday in what they said was a bid to head off Palestinian attempts to disrupt visits by Jews and foreign tourists on the eve of the Jewish New Year.

The Palestinian youths, Israeli police said in a statement, had intended "to disrupt the routine of visits to the Temple Mount on the eve of Rosh Hashana", the Jewish New Year, which begins at sunset on Sunday.

Police used tear gas and threw stun grenades towards the Palestinian youths, who barricaded themselves inside the mosque and hurled rocks and flares, a Reuters witness said.

"A police force ... surprised the barricaded youngsters and entered the Temple Mount area" so that the visits could get under way, the statement added.

Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan praised the Israeli Security Forces actions and restoration of order to the Temple Mount.

"Having prepared in advance, knowing that this was the eve of Rosh Hashana, the Temple Mount is now open to anyone who wishes to visit," Erdan said.

The minister went on to say that the current arrangements concerning the Temple Mount would need to be rethought.

"This holy place cannot be a battle-zone for entrenched Muslim rioters to throw stones and fireworks at security forces. This is the most serious and flagrant violation of the status quo yet, it will not go over in silence." he added. 

No serious injuries were reported and the compound was opened to visitors after the violence subsided, police said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Israeli Ambassador to the United Nations Danny Danon addresses the Security Council.
February 21, 2019
Danon to UNSC: Act against Iran's nuclear threat