Danon urges UN to condemn rocket attacks on northern Israel

Three rockets were fired from southern Lebanon and were believed to have fallen in open territory in the North. The IDF responded with artillery fire.

By
December 21, 2015 01:38
Lebanese soldiers stand at sunset inspecting the site where a suspicious device was found

Lebanese soldiers stand at sunset inspecting the site where a suspicious device was found by a military intelligence patrol and reportedly blown up by Israel. (photo credit: AFP PHOTO)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

NEW YORK - Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations, Danny Danon, called on UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to condemn Sunday’s rocket attacks on northern Israel.

Three rockets were fired from southern Lebanon and were believed to have fallen in open territory in the North. The IDF responded with artillery fire.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Ambassador Danon said the rocket fire is in blatant violation of UN Security Council Resolution 1701, which called for a disarmament of all armed groups in Lebanon, including Hezbollah. It also states that no armed forces other than the United Nations Interim Force In Lebanon and the Lebanese army will be posted south of the Litani River.

Resolution 1701 passed in 2006 and was intended to resolve that summer’s war between Israel and Lebanon.

"These rockets were fired from south of the Litani River,” Danon wrote to the secretary-general. “I call on you to condemn these violations immediately, and to address the escalation on the part of Lebanon before the situation further escalates."

"Israel will not accept any violation of its sovereignty, and will take all necessary measures to protect its citizens," he added.

In his letter, the ambassador also wrote that “the threat these attacks represent to the stability of the region is magnified by Hezbollah’s ongoing military buildup in southern Lebanon.”



"Every day, new evidence emerges that Hezbollah, an internationally recognized terrorist group, is using Southern Lebanon as a military encampment, and is embedding its military infrastructure in civilian areas,” he wrote. “Hezbollah has stationed thousands of missiles and rockets in the heart of Southern Lebanon’s civilian population, in violation of international law.”

The rockets were fired at Israel hours after an Israeli air strike killed Samir Kuntar, a Hezbollah militant leader, in Damascus on Saturday evening, the Lebanese group and Syrian state media said on Sunday.

Israel welcomed Kuntar's death, saying he had been preparing attacks on it from Syrian soil, but stopped short of confirming responsibility for the strike that killed him.

A former national security adviser to Israel said he doubted the strike would escalate hostilities between Israel and Iranian-backed Hezbollah, whose last major confrontation was in 2006.

Israel has formally kept out of Syria's civil war which started almost five years ago but has bombed Hezbollah targets there without publicly acknowledging these sorties.

Hezbollah, a powerful Shi'ite Muslim group that has sent hundreds of fighters to Syria to support President Bashar Assad against rebels trying to topple him, said Kuntar was "martyred" in an Israeli raid on the residential district of Jaramana in the Syrian capital, but gave no details.

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah was due to speak on Monday evening as both supporters of the group and Syrian loyalist groups said the death of Kuntar would be avenged and not be in vain.

The Israeli army said it held the Lebanese government responsible for attacks emanating from its territory and that it would "continue to act against any attempt to harm Israel's sovereignty and the security of its citizens."

Jailed in Israel for his part in a 1979 raid in Israel that killed four people, Kuntar, a Druze, was repatriated to Lebanon in 2008 in a prisoner swap with Hezbollah, which he is then believed to have joined.

Yaakov Amidror, Israel's former national security adviser, predicted Hezbollah would seek to exact "small revenge" for Kuntar's killing, but said Hezbollah, like Iran, was likely too busy fighting in Syria to afford a new front with Israel.

"It would not be in their interest, and if they did so, they would have a big problem," Amidror said, alluding to Israel's threats to respond to any major Hezbollah attack with strikes in Lebanon.

Hezbollah's official media said Kuntar would be buried on Monday in a Shi'ite cemetery in its main stronghold of Dahiya in the southern suburbs of Beirut. The party opened a condolences hall to receive the public.

"Such acts of the Zionist regime (Israel), which have become a consistent method, are the most dangerous forms of state terrorism," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossein Jaber Ansari was quoted as saying by Iran's ILNA news agency.

Syrian Information Minister Omran al Zubi pointed the finger at Israel but stopped short of blaming it directly.

"The party that gains most from the assassination of Kuntar is the Zionist enemy whom we have long known for these cowardly attacks," Zubi told Hezbollah's Manar television station.

Official Syrian media said an Israeli aerial strike hit a six-story residential building in Jaramana.

"I am not confirming or denying anything to do with this matter," Housing and Construction Minister Yoav Gallant told Israel Radio, adding: "It is good that people like Samir Kuntar will not be part of our world."

Kuntar, born in 1962, kept a low public profile after Israel released him. Hezbollah did not say which role Kuntar played in the Syrian conflict, but Syrian state media said he was involved in a major offensive earlier this year in Quneitra, near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

Rebels in southern Syria also said Kuntar was present in battles this year to defend a Syrian air base near the Druze majority city of Sweida, close to the border with Jordan, that rebels sought to capture.

Reuters could not independently verify this.

Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked accused Kuntar of overseeing covert Hezbollah entrenchment on the Golan Heights, a strategic plateau overlooking northeastern Israel.

"He set up a broad terror network on the Golan, and it is good that he returned his soul to his creator," Shaked told Israel's Army Radio, without elaborating on any Israeli role.

The Assad loyalist National Defence Forces in Jaramana, a bastion of government support and home to many of Syria's Druze minority as well as Christians, mourned Kuntar on its Facebook page.

"Two Israeli warplanes carried out the raid which targeted the building in Jaramana and struck the designated place with four long-range missiles," the NDF said.

In January, an Israeli strike in Syria killed six members of Hezbollah, including a commander and the son of the group's late military leader Imad Mughniyeh near the Golan Heights.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Related Content

August 21, 2018
With Abbas sidelined, Israeli-Palestinian conflict enters new territory

By CHARLES BYBELEZER/THE MEDIA LINE