Ya’alon: No Gaza attack tunnels are built under Israeli homes

Security forces are checking every report by residents in the Gaza periphery, defense minister tells Israel Radio; Ya'alon blasts Herzog for accusing gov't of inaction on Palestinian attack tunnels.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 1, 2016 09:39
1 minute read.

Israelis near Gaza border fear underground tunnelling by Hamas

Israelis near Gaza border fear underground tunnelling by Hamas

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon on Monday said that no underground tunnels from the Gaza Strip have so far been located beneath Israeli homes in the South, despite recent complaints by residents in communities near the Gaza border of hearing renewed construction noises under Israeli territory.

In an interview with Israel Radio on Monday morning, Ya’alon noted that security forces were checking every related report by residents in the Gaza periphery.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The defense minister also blasted opposition leader Isaac Herzog (Zionist Union) for accusing the government of inaction on continued reconstruction of the Palestinian tunnel network destroyed by Israel during Operation Protective Edge in 2014.

“It’s also possible to strike the hundred thousand rockets that Hezbollah has or Iran’s hundreds of missiles, but judgment and responsibility must be exercised,” Israel Radio quoted Ya’alon as saying in response to Herzog’s call for action.

On Sunday, Herzog made the call during a visit with regional council leaders.

“What are the prime minister and defense minister waiting for? For terrorists with guns drawn to emerge in a kibbutz or moshav?” he asked.

The opposition leader called for the government to “stop hesitating” and provide a serious, public response to the citizens.



A resident of Pri Gan near the Gaza border, Nissim Hakmon, told Reuters Monday that he and his neighbors hear banging and clattering at night.

“The fear among everyone here is constant,” Hakmon said. “I’ve heard the sound of a hammer and chisel and my neighbor says she can hear them digging under the cement. We’re stressed out.”

Underground infiltration by gunmen from Gaza “is something we know deep inside is just a matter of time, even though we tell the kids everything is okay,” Hakmon said.

Lahav Harkov, Herb Keinon and Reuters contributed to this report.

Related Content

July 22, 2018
Take a look: Before and after shots of Hamas headquarters destroyed by IDF

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF