Four Gazans breach security fence, flee back after IDF troops open fire

No casualties were reported. In addition, some 5,000 Palestinians demonstrated along the Gaza border security fence Friday.

May 26, 2018 17:54
1 minute read.

KKL-JNF firefighters extinguish flames in the Kissufim Forest, May 26, 2018

KKL-JNF firefighters extinguish flames in the Kissufim Forest, May 26, 2018


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Four Palestinians infiltrated Israel on Saturday by crossing the security fence in the southern Gaza Strip.

Soldiers fired warning shots, and the Gazans retreated back whence they came, the IDF Spokesperson’s Unit said.

The four men were inside Israel for a very short period, and left behind a tent on which was written: “The March of Return, Returning to the land of Palestine.”

There were no casualties on either side.

Also on Saturday, a fire kite launched from the Gaza Strip caused flames to break out in the Kissufim Forest.

Thousands of Gazans have been demonstrating along the security fence since March 30, and on Friday some 5,000 gathered in two locations, burning tires and throwing stones at IDF troops, who fired tear gas and live rounds toward rioters.

While no Palestinian was reported killed by IDF fire, Gaza’s Health Ministry reported 109 injured, included 10 who had been wounded by live rounds.

According to Palestinian news agency Wafa, Hussein Salem Abu Aweida, 41, died on Saturday from wounds he sustained last week during protests along the fence.

Two Gazans died on Thursday, succumbing to wounds they sustained during riots last week. Gaza’s Health Ministry identified one of the fatalities as Ahmed Ali Qatush, 23, who had been shot east of the Bureij refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip. The second was identified as Muhannad Baker Abu Tahoun, 21, who was said to have been shot in the head during the same riot.

Palestinian Maan News Agency quoted the Gazan Health Ministry reporting that 116 Palestinians have been killed by IDF fire and more than 13,000 wounded since the “Great March of Return” began.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A Palestinian boy looks at the remains of a building that was destroyed in Israeli air strikes, in G
June 23, 2019
Israel to build sewage pipeline to reroute waste from Gaza


Cookie Settings