Gideon Sa'ar: Window of opportunity for strike on Hezbollah is closing

"If Hezbollah will achieve precision strike capabilities, they will cause us very significant damage. This is a clear redline."

By
November 21, 2018 16:52
2 minute read.
Gideon Sa'ar

Former minister and member of the Security Cabinet Gideon Sa'ar. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

If an Israeli preemptive strike is not carried out in the near future, the window of opportunity for preventing Hezbollah’s precision strike capabilities will close, former education and interior minister Gideon Sa’ar (Likud) said at the Jerusalem Post Diplomatic Conference in Jerusalem.

Despite the involvement in Syria’s civil war and the occasional Israeli strike on Hezbollah targets in Syria, Iranian effort through its proxy to develop a qualitative strike capability on Israel’s civilian infrastructures has significantly improved since the end of the 2006 Second Lebanon War, Sa’ar warned.

Specifically, the former minister warned that Hezbollah was upgrading the accuracy of missiles which will be able to target Israeli civilian infrastructure to a precision of 10 meters.

“If Hezbollah will achieve such capabilities, they will cause us very significant damage. This is a clear redline,” he explained.

“I call for a preemptive strike against precision-missile factories in Lebanon and other strategic threats that Hezbollah is developing, and I will back up and stand by such a decision if it will be taken.”

Admitting that such a preemptive strike might cause a serious response, Sa’ar argued that a future attack might be far less effective and will involve a far heavier price.

“We will pay a much heavier price in the next round of confrontation if we will not act,” he concluded.

In addition to Hezbollah in Lebanon, Sa’ar also commented on the Iranian threat in Syria.


The Israeli pattern of action so far in this arena, he argued, has been “shipment hunting,” while the Iranian strategy has been to stick to their goal and not respond to Israeli strikes.

In the Syrian context too, Sa’ar warned that if Israel did not step up its activity, it would pay a heavier price later on. He called to intensify strikes against any buildup of Iranian infrastructures.

Concerning the US peace initiative, dubbed by some as the “deal of the century,” the former minister said that coordination between the Israeli and the American governments today was at an all-time high and that he was hoping that the current administration will avoid the mistakes that previous administrations made – namely placing a Palestinian state at the center of the deal.

“It is wrong to place at the center of the solution the establishment of a new Arab state at the heart of our nation,” he argued. “Not only is this miserable idea not part of a solution, [but] it is only taking us far from peace and security, and will increase instability in the region.”

“A future Arab autonomy in Judea and Samaria should be connected to Jordan.”

He concluded that “We have nothing more to give in terms of territory – and we have no one to give it to.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

February 20, 2019
IDF strikes Hamas post in response to incendiary aerial devices launched from Gaza

By ANNA AHRONHEIM