IAF fighter jet during the Red Flag joint exercise at Nellis air force base in Nevada .
(photo credit: COURTESY IDF SPOKESMAN'S OFFICE)
Israel struck two Hamas terrorist infrastructure sites Wednesday morning in response to an earlier rocket attack that targeted the country's South.
“The IDF will not tolerate terrorists opening fire onto Israeli territory and will continue to act severely against any attempt to disturb the peace of communities in the South,” an IDF statement said. “Hamas is the address and the responsibility is on it,” it added.
On Tuesday, residents in the south were on edge after the Iron Dome missile system fired an interceptor missile at what it thought was an incoming rocket.
Apparently there was no rocket however, although residents of the south did hear an explosion, which is believed to have been the interceptor.
The IDF confirmed that the rocket sirens that sounded in the Shaar Hanegev council were a false alarm, but added that it is too early to say what triggered the mistake.
No injuries or damages have been reported, and Southern District police said they received no calls about rocket “landings” in the district after the sirens were sounded earlier in the day.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>