Israel, Hamas to resume cease-fire talks in Egypt next month

The head of the Palestinian delegation, Azzam al-Ahmed, said that the talks would resume after the upcoming Jewish holidays.

By
September 23, 2014 20:40
1 minute read.
Azzam al-Ahmad and Ismail Haniyeh.

Fatah official Azzam al-Ahmad (L) and Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The indirect cease-fire talks between Israel and Hamas have been delayed until the last week of October, Hamas official Izzat al-Risheq announced on Tuesday.

He said that at Tuesday’s Egypt-sponsored talks in Cairo, the Palestinians and Israelis presented the issues they want to discuss during the upcoming negotiations, slated for next month.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Al-Risheq said the Palestinians’ issues included measures to consolidate the current cease-fire, building an airport and seaport and ending Israeli “punitive measures” imposed in the West Bank since June 12, such as the arrest of Hamas officials and prisoners released in the Gilad Schalit prisoner swap.

Earlier, the Palestinian delegation to the Cairo talks, which consists mainly of Hamas, Fatah and Islamic Jihad representatives, suspended their participation in the discussions for three hours in protest against the IDF’s killing of the two Hebron men accused of kidnapping and murdering the three Israeli teenagers in the West Bank last June.

The head of the Palestinian delegation, Azzam al-Ahmed, said that the talks would resume after the upcoming Jewish holidays. He said that on Wednesday the Palestinians and Israelis are expected to reach agreement on the agenda of the cease-fire talks.

Al-Ahmed said that Fatah and Hamas delegates are also scheduled to launch “reconciliation” talks in Cairo on Wednesday in another bid to end their dispute.

He said that the main issue hindering the implementation of previous reconciliation agreements between the two sides was the need to determine who is responsible for “making decisions about peace and war.” He added: “Fatah considers the decision over war and peace a national one and not a factional matter.”



Al-Ahmed also reiterated the need for Hamas to recognize the Palestinian “national consensus” government as the legitimate government of the Palestinians and the only party responsible for the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip.

Related Content

The funeral procession for Ahmad Mahameed in Umm al-Fahm, August 20, 2018
August 21, 2018
Police open probe into funeral of Umm al-Fahm attacker

By TAMARA ZIEVE