Israel doesn't have enough evidence to arrest Duma arsonists, Ya'alon says

Defense minister's office releases statement to the press, says state 'quite certain' that the arsonists are extremist Jews.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
September 11, 2015 19:18
1 minute read.
Israeli flag

A girl holds an Israeli flag on a hilltop near the Maaleh Adumim settlement. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

While Israeli authorities are almost certain that the arsonists who set fire to a home in the Palestinian village of Duma last month are Jewish terrorists, not enough evidence has been gathered to arrest them, Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said on Friday evening.

Ya'alon's office released a communique to the press seeking to clarify the government's position and update the public on the latest developments in the investigation, many of whose details are under gag order due to the sensitive nature of the case.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"There is a high probability that those responsible for the attack in Duma are part of a very extreme group of Jews that doesn't recognize the authority of the state and wishes instead to make trouble and do harm to people," the defense minister's office said.

The July 31 arson claimed the lives of Riham Dawabsha, 26, who died Sunday night after being severely burned; her husband, Sa’ad; and their 18-month-old son, Ali.

Ya'alon said that thus far a number of individuals have been held in administrative detention while "dozens" of restraining orders have been issued against members of the Jewish terrorist underground "in order to prevent further attacks."

"Nonetheless, we still do not have sufficient evidence to allow us to apprehend the suspects in the [Duma] attack," the defense minister's office said. "But we are continuing to investigate, using all of the tools at the disposal of the defense establishment."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

October 20, 2018
Security forces foil attempted terror attack in settlement near Jerusalem

By ALON HOCHMON/MAARIV