Israeli Beduin identified as gunman in Beersheba shooting attack, Shin Bet says

Family leader from terrorist's town condemns attack in remarks to 'Post.'

By
October 19, 2015 09:53
2 minute read.

Security camera footage of Beersheba terror attack

Security camera footage of Beersheba terror attack

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) on Monday identified the terrorist who carried out the deadly attack in Beersheba’s Central Bus Station Sunday as Israeli Beduin Muhanad al-Uqbi, 21, from the Negev unrecognized village of Uqbi.

Al-Uqbi’s mother is from Gaza, and she moved to Israel under the Family Reunification Law. Al-Uqbi had no prior record of security offenses.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Security forces have placed a gag order on all other details of the investigation.

Armed with a pistol and a knife, al-Uqbi stormed the Beersheba central bus station on Sunday night, shot to death IDF Sgt. Omri Levy, snatched his rifle, then shot and wounded 11 Israelis before being shot dead by police.

During the attack, armed security personnel mistook an Eritrean man for a second terrorist and opened fire, wounding him in the lower part of the body. The man was then set upon by a mob that beat him severely, leading to his death.

Sheikh Sayid, the leader of the al-Uqbi family and a relative of the terrorist, told The Jerusalem Post that he condemns the attack and was shocked to hear of it. Sayid said he had no idea how this happened and was awaiting the results of the investigation.

He described the gunman has having been a good boy who was expected to continue his studies.



He said an Israeli officer had called and demanded the villagers remove a mourning tent, and they complied and took it down.

Sayid called for coexistence with Jews, but complained about a shortage of funding or his village, which lacks many basic amenities. He mentioned a dispute with the state over land ownership there.

In the town of Hura right across the road, a worker at the gas station told the Post that Beduin serve in the army and are loyal to the state. “This was an isolated incident” and has nothing to do with the people of Hura, he said.

Talal al-Krenawi, mayor of the Beduin city of Rahat, told the Post on Monday that he condemned the attack and that the Beduin want peace.

“This criminal attack is not acceptable to us,” he declared.

Krenawi said it is strange that such an incident would be related to the al-Uqbis “a good family without a history of involvement in terrorism.”

Asked whether Munahad could have been radicalized over the Internet, Krenawi referred to reports of extremist content that had been posted on the terrorist’s Facebook page, but added that a final conclusion would have to wait until the investigation is completed.

“These attacks have created unease in the Beduin community,” Krenawi said. “We want coexistence here and to keep it this way and prevent any violence.”

Related Content

A Palestinian man inspects a destroyed Islamic Jihad military base
July 15, 2018
‘Give peace a chance,’ U.N. envoy tells Palestinians

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH