Jewish man indicted for attacking Israeli-Arab janitors

Indictment says victims targeted simply "because they were Arabs."

By
October 11, 2015 18:48
Man in handcuffs - illustrative

Man in handcuffs - illustrative. (photo credit: INGIMAGE / ASAP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Jerusalem District Attorney’s Office on Sunday filed an indictment against Aharon Azulai for a race-motivated attack on two Israeli-Arab workers.

The indictment said Azulai, 35, attacked the workers near David’s Tomb last week “because they were Arabs and with no provocation from them.” He allegedly pushed Taysar Abu Ramuz to the ground and slashed his elbow with a knife, and pushed Muhammad Salima while yelling, “Death to Arabs, get out of here.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Policeman Alexander Isacson stopped Azulai and asked him to identify himself, according to the indictment, which was filed with the Jerusalem District Court.

Azulai initially told Isacson he did not have an identity card and did not give his name.

Later, during his initial interrogation and first court hearing, he provided a false name.

The full list of charges approved by Attorney-General Yehuda Weinstein also included a race-motivated attack that caused serious injury, impersonating another individual and obstruction of justice.

The prosecution requested that Azulai be detained until the end of his trial.

Related Content

Avigdor Liberman at the Kerem Shalom Crossing, July 22, 2018
August 14, 2018
Gaza's Kerem Shalom crossing could open at 9 a.m. on Wednesday

By TOVAH LAZAROFF