Knife wielding man causes panic at Tel Aviv's Hacarmel Market

No injuries have been reported but two individuals were treated for shock.

August 5, 2016 15:57
1 minute read.
Shuk HaCarmel

Shuk HaCarmel after dark. (photo credit: MAGALI DRUSCOVICH)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Panic ensued when a man wielding a knife ran through Tel Aviv's Shuk Hacarmel market Friday afternoon.

Initial reports showed that the man was known to medical personnel, possibly due to mental health issues.

Fearing a terrorist attack, market goers and workers fled the immediate area in panic.

Police arrived at the scene and the suspect was arrested.

No injuries have been reported but two individuals were treated for shock.

Israel has been gripped in a wave of terror attacks emanating from the Palestinian community since September of last year. Though violent incidences have subsided over recent weeks, tensions are still wrought throughout the country.

One of the most violent and shocking attacks occurred  less than two months ago, when a pair of Palestinian terrorists shot and killed four Israeli civilians at the Sarona Market complex in Tel Aviv. 

The June 8 attack also left more than 40 wounded.

On Thursday, IDF units along with the Civil Administration and Israel Police destroyed the home of the two terrorist responsible for the Sarona attack while operating in the West Bank town of Yatta (near Hebron), according to a military statement.

The family home belonging to cousins Khaled Mahamrah, 20, and Mahmoud Mahamrah, 21, was razed by IDF forces following a military order.

The two suspected assailants have been arraigned and are awaiting trial.

Yaakov Lappin contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Israeli navy
April 24, 2019
Lebanon ready to demarcate maritime border with Israel under UN supervision