Liberman: No possibility of an agreement with Hamas

"We will not restore quiet and calm to the South without dealing the most severe blow we can.”

By
October 29, 2018 15:57
1 minute read.
Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman, October 29, 2018

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman, October 29, 2018. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM/THE JERUSALEM POST)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman continued his calls for a stronger approach to Hamas in the Gaza Strip Monday in a meeting of his Yisrael Beytenu faction.

“There is no need to continue to wait,” he said. “There is no path to an agreement with Hamas. We will not restore quiet and calm to the South without dealing the most severe blow we can.”

Liberman said he saw the residents of the South protest the government’s inaction and he believes they are 100 percent correct.

“The story has gone on for seven months,” he said. “We tried all the options, and the fact is that last Friday, Gaza residents endured 43 rockets and red alerts, and this clearly cannot go on.”


Liberman said Israel would not accept Hamas’s demand of economic benefits like Qatari gas while they continue their violence. He said he opposed a ground invasion.

“We have enough ways to restore quiet and clam without a ground invasion,” he said. “In my opinion, even if we kill 40,000 Hamas and Islamic Jihad terrorists, it is not worth losing one Israeli life.”

Liberman's statements were toned down compared to last week, when he told the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee that “Wars are only conducted when there is no choice, and now there is no choice.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

PRIME MINISTER Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a bilateral meeting with US President Donald Trump
March 21, 2019
Peace plan now: ‘Deal of the century’ should be revealed before April elections

By MAAYAN JAFFE-HOFFMAN