PA calls guilty terror ruling a 'tragic disservice to the millions of Palestinians'

Palestinian official says charges are baseless and the New York Court ignored the legal precedent set by other US courts.

By
February 23, 2015 23:20
1 minute read.
Palestinian boy

A Palestinian boy waves a flag in the West Bank. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The PLO and the Palestinian Authority expressed “deep disappointment” over the decision by the jury in the case of “Sokolow v. Palestine Liberation Organization et al.”

Mahmoud Khalifa, deputy Palestinian minister of information, said that the charges made against the PLO and PA are “baseless.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


He said that the New York Court ignored the legal precedent set time and again by other US courts – including a ruling last week by a Federal Judge in Washington DC, that established that US localities are not the proper jurisdiction for such a hearing.

“We will appeal this decision and we are confident that we will prevail,” Khalifa said in a first response to the verdict. “We have faith in the US legal system and are certain about our common sense belief and our strong legal standing.”

He claimed that the case is “just the latest attempt by hardline anti-peace factions in Israel to use and abuse the US legal system to advance their narrow political and ideological agenda: to block the two-state solution, advance the illegal settlements in our land, continue to attack and divert the PLO and PA’s limited resources from needed services and programs for our people.”

In his statement, Khalifa said that the decision is a “tragic disservice to the millions of Palestinians who have invested in the democratic process and the rule of law in order to seek justice and redress their grievances, and to the international community which has invested so much in financial aid and political capital in a two-state solution in which the PLO and PA are paramount.”

The Palestinian official said that the Palestinians will continue to combat extremism and violence and maintain a strong commitment to nonviolent resistance and international, legal political and moral redress. “We stand ready to be a partner in peace and an unyielding advocate for the rights of our people,” he added.




Related Content

police jerusalem
August 15, 2018
Police foiled alleged plan to carry out stabbing attack in Jerusalem

By TAMARA ZIEVE