Palestinian arson victim's condition takes turn for worse, hospital says

Riham Dawabshe's son Ali, and her husband Sa'ed died in the July attack in Duma which authorities suspect was carried out by Jewish extremists.

September 5, 2015 21:22
1 minute read.
Sa'ad Dawabsha and his family

Riham Dawabshe (right) with her family. (photo credit: ARAB SOCIAL MEDIA)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


There was a significant deterioration on Saturday in the health of Riham Dawabshe, the woman who suffered serious burns in an arson attack on her family home in July in the West Bank village of Duma in which her 18-month-old son Ali was killed. 

The Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer advised Riham's family on Saturday that she was now in critical condition, her life was in immediate danger, and that the coming 24 hours were vital for her. 

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Riham's husband, who was also seriously injured in the blaze suspected to have been set by Jewish terrorists, died of his wounds around one week after the death of his son Ali.

The condition of Riham's surviving four-year-old son, Ahmed, also hospitalized at Sheba, was improving. 

Riham's family was by her bedside and more relatives were gathering at the hospital. Her cousin Manor Dawabshe was not optimistic with regard to her recovery. 

"I highly doubt she will survive this," he said. 

"For a month she has been unconscious and connected to a breathing machine and she has not really been with us. Every day we come to the hospital, and we stay with her, but there is no change. From my perspective, I lost her already then during the fire. But this is still very sad. It is very difficult also to think about little Ahmed who already lost his brother and his father, and now this is happening."


"I can't imagine a more horrible situation," Manor added. 

He also expressed his frustration that the perpetrators of the arson had not been apprehended. 

"If Arabs would do such a thing there is not a chance that the police would act in this way. No one has updated us on anything and the person who did this is walking free. What they did was murder and the fact that they are free hurts no less than the act itself," he said. 

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A KITE flies over the Gaza border into an area where incendiary kites and balloons have caused major
October 18, 2018
As situation returns to 'normal,' Gaza border communities prep for unknown