Palestinian woman severely burned in Duma arson attack dies in Israeli hospital

News of Reham Dawabshe's death broke over 24 hours after her condition had significantly deteriorated, according to hospital officials at Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer.

September 7, 2015 01:01
1 minute read.
Sa'ad Dawabsha and his family

Riham Dawabshe (right) with her family. (photo credit: ARAB SOCIAL MEDIA)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Reham Dewabsha, 27, died just after midnight Sunday of severe burn wounds she sustained in the July 31 arson attack on her small single family home in the West Bank Palestinian village of Duma.

She is the third fatality from that fire, which was allegedly set by Jewish extremists. Her 18-month old son, Ali, was killed immediately and her husband Sa’ad, 31, died a week later.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Hospital officials at Sheba Medical Center in Tel Hashomer where she had been hospitalized after the fire, had already announced on Saturday that Reham was close to death.

The condition of Reham's surviving four-year-old son, Ahmed, also hospitalized at Sheba, was improving.

Reham's family had gathered by her bedside for her last hours.

Prior to her death, her cousin Manor Dawabshe said he felt she had already left them.

"For a month she has been unconscious and connected to a breathing machine and she has not really been with us. Every day we come to the hospital, and we stay with her, but there is no change. From my perspective, I lost her already then during the fire. But this is still very sad. It is very difficult also to think about little Ahmed who already lost his brother and his father, and now this is happening."


"I can't imagine a more horrible situation," Manor added.  

The Duma attack triggered an outpouring of condemnations from across the political spectrum in Israel. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon called it an act of terrorism.

Since the Duma attack, security forces have cracked down on Jewish extremists, arresting and releasing dozens of suspects. But charges have not been brought against anyone for the attack.

Amit Tomer contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Netta Barzilai, Eurovision winner 2018.
November 21, 2018
Palestinian Journalists Syndicate calls to boycott Eurovision