Palestinian woman shot after attempted stabbing of IDF soldiers in Hebron

Security forces shoot suspect in lower body in response to attempted attack; no soldiers hurt.

September 22, 2015 08:27
1 minute read.

Israeli soldiers check cars at a checkpoint near the West Bank City of Jericho. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An 18-year-old Palestinian woman on Tuesday morning attempted to stab IDF soldiers in Hebron as they stood by the Policeman’s Checkpoint that separates the Israeli and Palestinian sections of the city.

Soldiers opened fire, striking and injuring the attacker in her lower body. No soldiers were injured in the incident.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

"The terrorist is receiving medical care by the forces on the scene," the IDF Spokesman's Unit said.

On Monday afternoon some 100 Palestinians threw stones at soldiers at the same checkpoint. Soldiers dispersed the rioters with tear gas.

Late Monday night, a Palestinian man was killed when a grenade intended to be used to harm Israeli soldiers near Hebron apparently detonated prematurely while still in his hands.

A Palestinian hospital official said the 23-year-old man was showered in shrapnel and also shot in the head, though the military said it had not shot him.

The Islamic Jihad militant group named him as Diyaa Abdul Halim Talahmeh, claimed him as one of its members and said he had been shot dead by the soldiers.

Tensions have been high as Israel has seen an uptick in Molotov cocktail attacks and rock-throwing incidents in recent weeks, as well as an escalation of tensions at the Temple Mount.

Due to the recent rise in tensions, police and IDF security have been preparing to ensure the safety of the tens of thousands of Jews expected at the Western Wall on Yom Kippur.

The IDF announced on Monday that it will stop movement into Israel from Judea and Samaria, as well as Gaza crossings, from Tuesday at noon until Wednesday, one minute before midnight.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Related Content

July 18, 2018
Palestinians condemn 'Women in Green' Ninth of Av march