Palestinians donate $155,000 to rebuild demolished homes of terrorists

The money was collected from passers-by on the street and at mosques.

By REUTERS
December 15, 2015 17:10
2 minute read.
money

Shekel money bills. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Local activists in Nablus recently launched a charity initiative to raise funds for Palestinian terror suspects whose homes were demolished by the Israeli army.

So far NIS 600,000, more than $155,000  has been raised on the streets here, and organizers hope the figure will reach around $200,000.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Passers-by donated to the cause that aims to collect enough money to rehouse the families.

One man behind the project is Mazin Dambaq, who worked as a co-ordinator to collect donations from people on the streets and worshipers at local mosques.

"At first we planned for reconstruction but as you know the 'Israeli occupation' refuses to allow to reconstruct these houses because the decision they took says demolishing and confiscation. Nablus municipality will hire four lawyers to appeal that decision and achieve a decision for allowing reconstruction, but we don't want to wait for long and wait for Israeli courts and we will provide houses for these families and we will buy them houses," said Dambaq.

Israel demolished four homes of three Nablus men, accused of killing Eitam and Na’ama Henkin in October.

"If we look at it from a social perspective, it sent a message to all those who participated in this campaign that Nablus is united, its people, its residence and its visitors are all one united family," said Naseer Arafat, manager of the Nablus Residents Committee.



According to B'Tselem, Israel has demolished tens of houses in Jerusalem and the West Bank in October and November.

Many Palestinian families connected to terrorism in Jerusalem and the West Bank fear their houses will be demolished by Israel at any moment.

One man's home which was razed by the Israeli army was Ramzi al-Ilaiwi's.

"We thank everyone who initiated this campaign because the 'occupation' is becoming more arrogant and it demolishes more and more. They demolish and we will build. We thank everyone who contributed to this campaign," said Ramzi al-Ilaiwi.

Earlier this month, the home of Palestinian prisoner, Ragheb al-Ilaiwi, who Israel accuses of masterminding an attack in the West Bank was demolished.

"They (the Israeli forces) said that they want to blow-up only this side of the home but look what they blew-up, they blew-up the apartment above it and the apartment underneath, and they damaged a lot of things. They damaged three apartments, instead of damaging one apartment, they damaged three apartments," Um Ramzi mother of Ragheb al-Ilaiwi said.

Israel accused al-Ilaiwi of heading the cell of terrorists that carried out an attack that resulted in the killing of Eitam and Na’ama Henkin near Itamar in the West Bank in October. Al-Ilaiwi was arrested two days after the attack and is in an Israeli prison.

The couple was shot dead while driving through the West Bank by Palestinian attackers, Israeli authorities said. The couple's four children, aged between four-months and nine-years old, were also in the car but were physically unharmed when the gunman opened fire, Magen David Adom said.

Israel has said such demolitions are punitive and can also serve as a deterrent to other potential attackers.

Israeli Internal Security Minister Gilad Erdan told Army Radio that regular security co-ordination between Israel and the Palestinians in the West Bank was continuing.


Related Content

MUFTI OF JERUSALEM Mohammed Hussein (right) walks in front of the Dome of the Rock in 2007
July 18, 2018
Jerusalem mufti warns that Israeli excavations ‘endanger’ Al-Aksa

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH