IDF mobilizing forces along Gaza border as clock ticks on temporary cease-fire

Military calling up reservists as threat of renewed fighting looms with no sign of permanent truce apparent at tail end of 3-day cease-fire.

August 13, 2014 17:57
1 minute read.
idf tank

IDF soldiers stand atop a tank near the border with Gaza. [File]. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The IDF was mobilizing forces along the border with Gaza on Wednesday ahead of the expiration of a three-day cease-fire at 12 a.m. Thursday, Channel 2 reported.

The threat of renewed fighting loomed as it remained uncertain whether Israeli and Palestinian negotiators engaged in indirect talks in Cairo would forge a long-term truce to take effect following the temporary one. 

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The IDF also deployed nine Iron Dome batteries throughout the country as Israel was bracing for the possibility of Gazan terrorists resuming rocket attacks in the event that cease-fire negotiations break down, Channel 2 cited a senior Air Force official as saying.

The military was also reportedly calling up addition reservists to bolsters the soldiers positioned near the Gaza border.

Palestinian officials said that they are seriously considering agreeing to extend talks past the 72-hour deadline.

On Wednesday, the clock ticked toward the end of a the temporary cease-fire with no sign of a breakthrough in indirect talks in Cairo.

It was reported by Reuters that President Barak Obama spoke to Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Wednesday evening.

A Palestinian official with knowledge of the negotiations said Egypt had presented a new proposal for a permanent truce agreement that addressed a major Palestinian demand for a lifting of the Israeli and Egyptian blockades of the Gaza Strip.

Israel and Egypt harbor deep security concerns about Hamas, the dominant Islamist group in the small, Mediterranean coastal enclave, complicating any deal on easing border restrictions.

It was unclear from the official's remarks how those worries, along with Israel's demand for Gaza's demilitarization, would be dealt with. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said disarming was not an option.

Israeli negotiators returned to Egypt after returning overnight to Israel with the truce in the month-old hostilities due to expire.

Palestinian delegates and Egyptian intelligence officials reconvened for talks that could go down to the wire.

Related Content

August 19, 2018
Palestinians react to Abbas' call for ‘popular resistance’