Border Police officer killed in Jerusalem terror attack

ISIS claims responsibility for attack on Israeli soil for first time; Hamas praises the deadly Jerusalem attack 'carried out by three martyrs'.

June 17, 2017 04:49
3 minute read.
Hadas Malka

Hadas Malka. (photo credit: COURTESY ISRAEL POLICE)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A female Border Police officer died after succumbing to her wounds following a suspected coordinated terror attack carried out by three assailants in multiple areas of the Old City in Jerusalem.

Staff Sergeant Major Hadas Malka, 23, was taken to the emergency care unit at nearby Hadassah University Medical Center in critical condition after sustaining multiple stab wounds during the attack. Hospital officials later pronounced her dead after failing to save her life.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack that killed Border Police officer Hadas Malka in a statement posted by Amaq, the group's news agency. The attack "will not be the last," said the statement.

According to sources, this is the first time that Islamic State have claimed responsibility for carrying out an attack in Israel.

Gaza-based terrorist organization Hamas praised the bloodshed but disputed the Islamic State's claim, stating that the perpetrators were affiliated to the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

"The sacrificial operation in Jerusalem that was carried out by three martyrs in Jerusalem confirms that the PA’s attempt to make the relationship with the occupier 'a normal relationship' is a failure. The Palestinian youth will continue to characterize the occupation as its single enemy," said Hamas spokesperson Hazim Qassim in a Facebook post.

Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah party called the death of the three perpetrators a "war crime by the Israeli occupation forces" in a statement published by Fatah spokesperson Osama Al-Qawasmi.

Police said that the suspects used an "automatic weapon and knives" during the assault.

Two individuals were also evacuated to Hadassah University Medical Center in moderate and light condition after sustaining wounds from the event. The hospital said it was treating another patient for shock.

"We saw two wounded civilians near the Damascus Gate, a man of about 40 and a young man of about 22," an MDA spokesperson said in a statement.

"They were fully conscious and suffered from 'penetrating injuries'...  We provided them with emergency medical treatment and evacuated them to the hospital with their condition being moderate and stable."
Israeli police react to deadly Jerusalem terror attack, June 17, 2017. (Credit: Israel Police)

A police spokesperson said that the three terrorists were "shot and killed" following the attacks. Police added that at least one of the suspects used an automatic weapon and "opened fire" during the incident. 

Unconfirmed reports suggest that the event was a coordinated attack carried out by suspected Palestinian terrorists.

They were later named as 19-year-old Bara Ibrahim Muhammad Saleh; Adel Hassan Ahmad Anakush, 18; and Osama Ahmad Mustafa Atta, 19, according to a statement released by the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency).

All three had "a background in terrorist activities," or were arrested by Israeli authorities before Friday's assault, the Shin Bet added. 

The IDF Spokesperson's Unit reported that IDF units surrounded the West Bank village of Deir Abu Mash'al, near Ramallah, on Friday evening.

The location is believed to be the origin of the individuals who carried out Friday evening's deadly attack.

According to The Jerusalem Post's sister publication Maariv, the first attack occurred near Damascus Gate at the entrance of the Old City when an assailant armed with a knife attempted to stab members of a Border Police Unit, critically wounding the female officer. The attacker was subsequently shot and killed following the assault.

The second attack reportedly occurred near Zedekiah’s Cave, located in the Muslim quarter of the Old City.

Maariv reported that the two attackers, one in possession of a knife and the other carrying a homemade automatic weapon, attempted to execute an assault against Border Police officers stationed in the area.

The weapon the assailant was holding jammed, however, averting a bloodier attack. They too were shot and killed by authorities.

Police have blocked off the immediate area and are investigating the situation.

Adam Rasgon contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

PALESTINIANS TAKE PART in a protest last week marking Nakba Day, east of Gaza City.
July 19, 2019
97 injured in Gaza border protests


Cookie Settings