Reporter's notebook: ‘I struggled to believe it was actually gunfire’

A Jerusalem Post intern recounts his experience at the scene of Monday's car ramming attack.

December 15, 2015 02:37
3 minute read.
chords bridge

Scene of ramming attack near Jerusalem's Chords Bridge. (photo credit: JOSH DELL)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


En route to a doctor’s appointment in Har Nof on the number 74 bus, we passed the Bridge of Strings at the entrance to Jerusalem and moved on to Herzl Boulevard. As I attempted to ring the doctor to say I was going to be a few minutes late, all seemed normal.

Suddenly, we heard a series of gunshots. En masse, everyone rushed to the windows to see what had happened. Though a mass of bodies blocked my way, I hurried toward the bus door as those next to me shouted to the driver to open them.

Coming from Britain, a country where it is rare to see a gun in public, if at all, I struggled to believe that what I had heard was actually the sound of gunfire. In shock, I turned to the man next to me to ask if that was the sound I’d heard. “Whatever it was, I’m pretty sure they’re dead now”, he responded.

When the doors eventually opened, we were finally able to see the carnage that lay on the other side of the road.

A white Mazda had rammed into a bus stop, running over a fire hydrant in the process and leaving water streaming underneath the car and around the bus stop. The injured lay scattered on the sidewalk, some being treated by first responders who had managed to reach the scene already, others by civilians doing whatever they could. One man appeared to have attempted to stem a victim’s bleeding by tying a sweater around them.

On the driver’s side of the car, a policeman was standing with his gun pointed at the lifeless body of the driver within. The gunshots we had heard were presumably those that neutralized the driver in the throes of the terrorist attack.

Having only been based in Israel for a few months, my British sense of order and decorum initially left me frozen. Suddenly, it hit me that I had witnessed a terrorist in action, and as an active journalist it was my duty to somehow document what I was seeing in order for as many people as possible to understand what happened.

I sprang into action, ringing my editor to say I was at the site of the attack. I captured as much footage as I could, all the while attempting to deal with the events unfolding around me.

It is difficult to sufficiently convey what it is to be a part of the first group of people at the scene of a terrorist attack. Without the area cordoned off until a good five minutes after the attack had taken place, we were able to see the devastating range of emotion engendered by the act of terrorism.

The majority of the growing mass of people were attempting to capture what had taken place on their phones, with many scrambling to get as close as they could to the bus stop.

Others simply broke down into tears spontaneously, devastated by what they were seeing.

The terrorist’s car was eventually moved further down the street, away from the bus stop.

The move changed the locale into one that appeared positively apocalyptic. The damaged hydrant suddenly began to explosively spray water some 9 meters high, as people continued to gather around the bus stop.

As the water persisted to gush, the shouts of “Zuz, zuz!” (Move, move) grew and the area began to be cordoned off.

Returning to The Jerusalem Post offices, I remained struck by one thing in particular.

Though they had no connection with what had taken place or to the victims of the attack, many of those standing next to the site nevertheless remained in floods of tears.

Even an hour later, teary faces continued to stream out of Herzl Blvd; the site of the attack may have been cordoned off, but there was no distance from the fresh memories that will likely linger for a long time.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Asael Shabo
July 23, 2019
Terror victim to terrorists: Violence is not going to help - watch


Cookie Settings