Hamas official: Language of Egyptian cease-fire proposal 'acceptable'

Islamic Jihad official says Israel is “eager to reach an agreement” despite its “arrogance,” noting that senior Israeli officials have been involved in indirect talks.

By
August 26, 2014 10:53
1 minute read.
Moussa Abu Marzouk

Deputy chairman of Hamas' political bureau Moussa Abu Marzouk during an interview in Cairo, August 9, 2014.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A senior Hamas official said Tuesday that the new Egyptian cease-fire proposal to end the hostilities between the Palestinians and Israel in Gaza, was “acceptable” in terms of its language.

Moussa Abu Marzouk, a member of the Hamas delegation in Cairo, told the pan-Arabic newspaper Al Hayat that discussions were ongoing with the Egyptians over the details.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Khaled al-Batsh, Islamic Jihad’s representative to the Cairo cease-fire talks, said the Palestinian delegation was awaiting Israel’s response to the proposal, which was “acceptable in principle.”

Al Hayat quoted a senior Palestinian Islamic Jihad leader as telling the paper that the group wanted the agreement in order to “stop the brutal aggression” and avoid the deaths of Palestinian children, adding that the Israelis had “targeted civilians to put pressure on the resistance.”

The official said Israel was “eager to reach an agreement” despite its “arrogance,” noting that senior Israeli officials had been involved in indirect talks. He added that the Egyptian proposal would strengthen the role of the Palestinian Authority in Gaza, including by assisting in supervision of the Rafah crossing. He added that Israel had “failed to achieve its goals,” which were to “disarm the resistance and prevent tunnel construction.”  

Israeli officials stressed on Monday evening that as long as Hamas continues firing rockets and mortars there will be no “Cairo cease-fire process,” even as the terror group said efforts were carrying on to reach an agreement.

The Islamic Jihad's Batsh said in a statement early Monday that the armistice would be based on the 2012 understandings reached between Israel and the Palestinian groups, in addition to Egypt’s latest proposal for rebuilding the Gaza Strip and expanding the fishing zone for local fishermen.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Herb Keinon and Khaled Abu Toameh contributed to this report.





Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

netanyahu liberman jerusalem attack
October 18, 2018
Who will inspire Netanyahu in responding to the Gaza predicament?

By HERB KEINON