White House 'deeply concerned' by escalating tensions in Jerusalem, official says

Pending a full investigation, the US has not yet determined whether to characterize the attacks as acts of terrorism.

By
October 7, 2015 22:16

24 hours of terror in Israel

24 hours of terror in Israel

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

WASHINGTON -- The White House is monitoring an increased tempo of violence in Jerusalem and the West Bank with a growing sense of alarm, a senior administration official told The Jerusalem Post on Wednesday.

Four separate attacks gripped the country on Wednesday alone, following a series of stabbings and shootings of Israelis over the past week.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"We are deeply concerned about recent violence and escalating tensions in the West Bank and Jerusalem," the senior official said, "and we condemn in the strongest terms violence against Israeli and Palestinian civilians."

"We call upon all parties to take affirmative steps to restore calm, and refrain from actions and rhetoric that would further escalate tensions," the official continued.

Pending a full investigation, the US has not yet determined whether to characterize the attacks as acts of terrorism, a State Department official told the Post on Tuesday. One victim of the recent violence, Eitam Simon Henkin, was an American citizen.

Earlier in the week, State Department spokesman John Kirby strongly condemned the violence and called for all perpetrators to be "swiftly brought to justice."



Related Content

June 25, 2018
Terror victims protest Pay-to-Slay bill's delay

By GIL HOFFMAN