mushrooms w/ goats cheese 311.
(photo credit: Courtesy)
Whether you prefer eating cheesecake or blintzes, kreplach or burekas, all Shavuot dishes share one common ingredient: milk.
The tradition has many possible derivations. Some point to the scripture, consuming dairy to symbolize "the land flowing with milk and honey" (Exodus 3:8).
Kabbalists calculate the numeric value of the word halav
, milk, (het=8, lamed=30, vet=2) to equal forty. Milk, therefore, represents the number of days Moses spent on Mount Sinai receiving the Ten Commandments.
Others connect the description of Mount Sinai in Psalms (68:15), gnuvim
, meaning “many peaks” to the word gvinah
, cheese. Scholars have also connected the tradition to other locales and ethnic groups and their spring harvest festivals.
Dairy dishes were the norm, perhaps because of cheese’s production season.
There is a drash
saying that the Israelites’ religiousness had changed after receiving the Torah at Mount Sinai. Following the Revelation, they refused to eat the meat that had been prepared without regarding the laws of kashrut. The hungry Israelites ate a dairy meal rather than preparing new kosher meat.
Eating a modest dairy meal was considered appropriate upon receiving the Torah, which required humility.
The recipe below offers a modern twist on the millennia-old traditional of eating dairy products on Shavuot. There’s even a touch of honey, to reflect the land of Israel’s two most famous flavors! MUSHROOMS FILLED WITH GOAT CHEESE WITH PEPPER SAUCE
Courtesy of Nadav Camp, head chef at BBB: Borgos Burger Bar Serves 6For the mushrooms
600 gr. champignon mushrooms
100 gr. butter
300 gr. chopped onions
2 chopped garlic cloves (1/4) cup
5 gr. salt
5 gr. white pepper
200 gr. goat cheese
2 tsp. date honey
2 tsp. Dijon mustard For the pepper sauce
1 kg. peppers
1⁄2 kg. cherry tomatoes
1⁄4 cup vinegar
70 gr. of garlic
3⁄4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. of sweet paprika To prepare the mushrooms:
1. Remove the mushroom stems and chop them.
2. Sauté the chopped onions, garlic and mushroom stems in a pan with the butter. Seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. Put the sautéd vegetables into a food processor. Add the bread crumbs. Grind until the mixture is pasty.
4. For the filling: Mix the goat cheese, date honey and mustard in a bowl.
5. Pour the cheese into the bellies of the mushrooms.
6. Spread the bread crumb and mushroom stem cream on the mushrooms. Deep fry. To prepare the pepper sauce
1. In a pan, sauté the peppers until they are soft.
2. Add the remaining ingredients.
3. Cook for 20 minutes on low heat. Side dishes
1⁄2 kg. mayonnaise
200 gr. pepper sauce mix
A bit of carrots
Mix with vinaigrette:
Juice from half a lemon
1/4 cup of olive oil
A pinch of salt
A pinch of sugar Bon appetit!